• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by pauljon

1. P

Brittle Street'', city

When I lived in Bath Street the canal was just down the street, Shadwell Street and as a child was never allowed to go there because it was too dangerous as it was very accessible, my older brother was playing along side the water and was pushed in by a very excitable dog, he almost drowned. We...
  2. P

Brittle Street'', city

Thank you for this information. Found different spellings when doing family history, there is no s in my name and on my great grandfathers wedding certificate his name is spelt Brettle though on census it is the correct spelling Brittle. He just signed it with a X so I guess he was illiterate...
  3. P

Brittle Street'', city

Just discovered about Brittle Street in Birmingham this was my maiden name so very interested in finding out more, wondered if there is any information on the family it was named after or why it was given their name. Thanks.
  4. P

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Thank you for your interest, The Royal Warwicks Museum in Warwick helped me a lot and I have a history of the day of the battle and I was able to obtain a copy of his death certificate. There is also his name on the roll of honor records in St. Mary's church. Warwick. I have been trying to find...
  5. P

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Interesting to see photographs of the Royal Warwicks WW1. My Uncle was killed at the battle of Fromelles July 19th 1916. I discovered this when I was tracing the family history. My fathers elder brother who 20 when he died. My father died before I was a year old, so I knew nothing of his...
  6. P

Bath Street Birmingham 4

I remember the Bishops house on the corner of Weaman street and as a child I had to go there to take Mass requests when it was my father's anniversary. I would ring the bell and then the door opened and the housekeeper would let me into the hallway to wait for the priest. It always smelt of...
  7. P

Bath Street Birmingham 4

Interesting sign thank you I had never heard about this one
  8. P

shadwell street

I have just seen the photographs of Shadwell Street and Little Shadwell Street, I lived in Bath Street and the yard was opposite the Gunmakers arms. As as children my sister, brother and I used to race down the hill in Little Shadwell Street. It was great in the winter as we used to slide down...
  9. P

Friends and Neighbours

Will have a look through old photographs to see if I can find any. Didn't take many as mom couldn't afford a camera.
  10. P

Bath Street Birmingham 4

Thank you once again.
  11. P

Bath Street Birmingham 4

Been studying the photographs of Bath Street, the one with St. Chads church and the houses and the factory showing Walkers Fine Tools 60 these were not there when I was a child. It was an open space with a lot of steps leading to the side of the church. We used to play there with our dolls...
  12. P

St Chads Schools

I attended St. Chad's Brealey Street in the 1950's. First I was in the infant school where Sister Philips was Headmistress. Then at the age of 7 went up stairs into the junior section which was all girls. This was until I was ten when the school became co-educational. I only had one year at...
  13. P

Friends and Neighbours

Two years ago whilst on a holiday canal boat we moored up on the canal that ran along Shadwell Street. Forbidden to me as a child as it was all open. My elder sister who was with us decided that it would be good to look around the old quarter. The wooden telegraph pole that marked the entrance...
  14. P

Friends and Neighbours

Thank you once again. Studying the map I remember that 8 and 9 looked like houses but were offices. These were on Bath Street and opposite the Gun Makers. The drop stamp was facing down the yard I think number 4 may have been changed to number one as that is were my parents first lived in...
  15. P

Bath Street Birmingham 4

Thank you once again, memories are flooding back of the old Street where I lived, went to church at St. Chads. also got married there. Happy, but hard times, never afraid to walk along Bath Street, lots of work places, as it was known as the Gun Quarter. Small Gun Smiths etc. Seeing the...