• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Paul Walton

1. P

Newey Goodman Ltd Robin Hood Lane

I believe my grandmother, Ada Walton, worked for that company from wartime until her retirement around 1958 or 59. I never knew what she did but I gather she must have liked working there, just for the sake of it, as she apparently never opened her wage packets until there was a change in the...
  2. P

Handsworth

Not a bad investment for a potential landlord, at those rents the cost of the houses is paid off in nine years, a return on capital employed of over 10% per annum and a residual value of at least the original outlay
  3. P

Handsworth

Excluding the façade which is a bit different, the layout of the houses in the plans is much the same as 90% of the terrace houses built by speculative builders in that period. Actually quite a cheap house for 1907 at £227, my small 3 bed terrace house on the Selly Park/ Stirchley border was...
  4. P

Gangs of Birmingham

Crikey 36 years service as Chief Constable, they only seem to last five minutes nowadays
  5. P

NewSt Station 2015

I like the way the new cladding "reflects the environment" so to speak, since it started to go up I have seen the facades of those buildings that have been almost impossible to see in a couple of generations
  6. P

Street furniture

No 14 was one of the large houses between Six Ways, Aston and Chain Walk on the out of town side of the road, it was NOT Perry Barr thepostal address was, like the nearby Lozells Rd, actually Handsworth, though I gather the other side of the roads postal address was Aston. I therefore imagine...
  7. P

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

A strange one Lewis's when they expanded the store were not allowed to block the Minories as technically it was part of the Royal Mail coach road to Bristol, namely it was the main road now known as the A38
  8. P

Street furniture

My bedroom overlooked the rear of Hunters, it had a large workshop, with ramps etc at the top of what had been the garden, and a large parking area for vehicles awaiting work and several lock up garages one of which my father rented, I used to sit on his lap and steer the car into there. Access...
  9. P

Street furniture

I used to live at 14 Birchfield Rd, they were all large Victorian double fronted houses, next door at 16 was Hunters Garage and the front garden had been equipped with petrol pumps and you stopped on the main road to get filled up by the attendant. Years ago I did see a picture of Hunters in a...
  10. P

I was working there when the road was torn up and the Minories was pedestrianized, I am certain that the blocks were black rubber
  11. P

Strange you mention the blocks that made up the road surface being wood as I remember them as being rubber ? Perhaps they were rubber wood LOL
  12. P

Wacaden Dairy Wathes Cattell & Gurden Dairy

Re: Wackadon ?????????? Dairy Thanks
  13. P

Wacaden Dairy Wathes Cattell & Gurden Dairy

When I was a kid, in the 1951 to 1956, period living on Birchfield Road just below Six Ways we had milk delivered by a dairy called, now don't quote me on the spelling but it sounded like Wackadon, it was taken over by Midland Counties Dairy sometime around 1955 I think. Years later, probably in...
  14. P

Street furniture

As I remember up until the 1960's there was a law called "Retail Price Maintenance" meant that the makers of a product set the price at which it must be sold, it was illegal to charge more or less. A lot of chocolate bars etc. had the price printed on the wrapper, so whether in a shop or a...
  15. P

Street furniture

And don't forget the Beechnut chewing gum machines on the wall outside shops
Back