• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Paul.J.T

1. P

Newey Goodman Ltd Robin Hood Lane

Laughtons didnt take over Newey , Newey sold the Haircare side of the business to Laughtons and concentrated on the Haby side and the sale funded moving everything to Tipton , doubt that Laughtons would be any help regarding pensions. Cannot recall who might be able to help regarding pension...
  2. P

Smethwick

I seem to remember that British Featherweight boxer Pat Cowdell trained there for a while ?
  3. P

Smethwick

You are correct , drivers or the conductor did have to clock just there by the Grove. It was a large Green cast iron thing with a large clock face at the top and half way down there was a key hole ,each crew had a key with a number on and when the bus was leaving the Grove stop they had to put...
  4. P

Sorry but I dont think that there is much I can add about your relative , its the name that I recalled really as Renouf is not a common name and it would be pure guess work for me to recall anything specific about her. Good luck with your searches. Paul
  5. P

The price of a pint

Went through a spell of drinking Brown and Mild , mainly because the 1/2 of mild was hand pulled into the pint glass and you always got more than the half,if you were smart and talked to the barman whilst he was pulling it you would get almost a full pint !! Rememeber it being 2/6 so you could...
  6. P

Beech Tree Inn - Quinton

I worked at the Bass house when Barrie Arnold was the landlord , think he went to the Bell in Harborne afterwards ??
  7. P

Working Mens Clubs

I was a member many many years ago; remember very clearly having been proposed and seconded etc. that I had to walk around a table where committee members were sat to be vetted, I was accepted and told that they had three rules: 1) If I had a car that I was to park it sensibly as they had...
  8. P

Hello --Yes I know this company , actually worked there and knew Majorie Renouf or Miss Renouf as I remember her,think that she was the Secretary to the Sales Director David Jackson or certainly one of the Directors. The Robin Hood Lane site housed the Sales , Purchasing , Marketing and the...
  9. P

Ionic Plating Works

Hello ---I am new to this forum and although I didnt work at the Ionic Plating Company my father did in the early 1950s. From memory the factory was in Grove Street and had "sides" on two streets Grove Street and Halberton Street , I lived in Halberton Street at the time and can clearly remember...
  10. P

Ionic Plating Works

Hello ---My first post on this Forum,I lived in this area as a little boy,actually at 25 Halberton Street and from memory the pub was called the Engine,the house we lived in was my Nans and remember going with her to this pub a number of times with her jug for a couple of pints of Mild.
Back