• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Paul B

1. Paul B

Photo Repair Please

Thanks. Photographer's Stamp on the photocard is H. LOCKYER PHOTOGRAPHER, 11 VARNA ROAD BIRMINGHAM.
  2. Paul B

Photo Repair Please

Could anyone help with this photo please from our Aunt's family album... She couldn't remember where in South Birmingham the shop was but what a shop window full of goodies!
  3. Paul B

1791 Birmingham Riots Kingswood Meeting House

Does anyone know of a map showing the location off Dark Lane Wythall of the original Kingswood Meeting House which was burned down during the Birmingham Riots of July 1791.
  4. Paul B

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Lovely photo to find. Granny Ulett used to live round the corner in Wyndcliffe Rd and we lived one street up at Millward Street only a few doors away from my aunt. We left in 1963 when the Council started actively moving families out of the terraces and back to backs to Birmingham’s leafier...
  5. Paul B

Artists Who Painted Birmingham Landscapes

Frank Sidney Smith really is quite unique as a Folk or Naive Artist and as a Brummie resident, and it’s understandable (after reading it) why Wiedenfeld and Nicholson published this 1993 hardback book about his life and work. Copies are available from Ebay for less than a fiver or you could...
  6. Paul B

Have always found comfort in Folk Art either recent or from 200 years ago. Art made by normal people trying to make sense of the world about them, sometimes under the most extraordinary circumstances. Last month I came across this published book about a unique Birmingham Artist Frank Sidney...
  7. Paul B

Reclaimed ones are still available online... Signs that is, not pies!!!
  8. Paul B

Love this one!… To the left of the F.Richards sign is the last letter “s” of the old green and gold leaf letters of the HOVIS sign that used to be above the local bakers shop... Sold some of the best bread and meat pies in Brum... Evening Mail once ran a photo during the bread shortage of the...
  9. Paul B

Then & Now

Yes in a few years time the cars will be gone as well, and the railway station will be back.... Climate change here we come!
  10. Paul B

Pre-decimalisation money

My Nan once told me “always to carry a silver coin in your wallet”. “That way” she said “it would never be empty!” Great Brummie logic!! Took her advice and to this day I still carry a 1951 shilling piece in mine ( year of my birth) and true enough it’s always had cash to accompany it. Thanks...
  11. Paul B

Small Heath Park (Victoria Park)

I remember about 1960 (my brother and I were 9 and 10 at the time), we found out about a Guy Fawkes competition on Bonfire Night at Small Heath Park, so set about creating a Guy to end all Guys. It took us ages, old clothes from dad and grandad, stuffed with crumpled newspaper, old wellies for...
  12. Paul B

Ten Acres Stirchley

Old Ten Acres and Stirchley Co-op Society (TASCOS) Supermarket Stirchley shuts its doors this Saturday 25th after 105 years on the corner of Hazelwell Street and Umberslade Road. Co-op history group has put together a small presentation at the site along with lots of local history and...
  13. Paul B

A Christmas Carol

Has to be one of the best things on TV for a very long time, well written, well acted, beautifully shot and a brilliant adaptation. It has been described as a play for our times. With reference to our own City it should teach us to appreciate the benevolence and vision of the early founders...
  14. Paul B

A few George Busby paintings occasionally pop up on ebay. This is my current favourite with additional Artist's info to the reverse. Very atmospheric and takes me back to winter nights in the markets.. Is this actually a Birmingham Scene with TESCO supermarket in the background?
  15. Paul B

Ten Acres Stirchley

I think there are enormous changes coming about to all retailers everywhere, large and small. Before Tesco abandoned their original plan to develop the Stirchley site, their proposal was for 24 hours opening with home deliveries run from the same buildings. Perhaps this is what Morrisons are...
Back