• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by PatHayward

1. P

Kardomah

pretty sure that’s Colmore Row with Greys behind.
  2. P

Marshall & Snelgrove

my daughter bought me some last Christmas it’s lovely and brings back many memories. I worked in Livery Street and often coming into the city by bus you would see ladies carrying The black patterned bags - probably holding their sandwiches or knitting!
  3. P

Marshall & Snelgrove

During the 1950’s I was regularly sent to Marshall & Snelgrove in a chauffeur driven car to purchase a perfume called Jan Patou by Joy for my boss as a gift for his mistress. I remember the wrapping paper and packaging was a black background covered in flowers of many colours.
  4. P

Stratford Road

Hello AnnieB we lived in Baker Street in the second cottage of the court that had the entrance to St Johns Road just by the grocers shop that had a very noisy parrot. I remember having my third birthday party there and we moved to Allcroft Road on 3rd September 1939 - the day the Second World...
  5. P

Air raid shelters

Sweaters were undone and re-knitted and lots of clothes were hand-me-downs or refashioned. Toes were cut out of sandals to last another season and tips were nailed on to the soles of shoes to make them last longer.
  6. P

Formans Rd, Sparkhill.

I remember the shop well and I think it was between Harley's - the pork butchers and Boltons - the shoe repairers. I recall Mrs Chambers as being a very friendly lady and she kept a wide range of sweets and chocolates. She had a daughter called Pat who married David and they moved to a new house...
  7. P

Air Raid Shelter Ticket

We used the underground shelter of The Midland Gearcase in Allcroft Road Tyseley.
  8. P

Unsafe Headstones

This practise was still carried on at Robin Hood Cemetery a few years ago and my parents headstone was considered unsafe though there were no obvious signs that the stone had 'moved' and we had to pay approx. £700 to have it repaired by the cemetery authorities. At that time there was coloured...
  9. P

Yardley Secondary School Grammar School

My husband Cyril Hayward was at Yardley Grammar School between 1945 and 1950 and was in Marston House.
  10. P

Sorrento Hospital Nursing Home

My oldest daughter Lindsay was born here on St.David's Day, 1st March 1957 and after leaving here eight days after giving birth I continued to contribute daily to Sorrento's Milk Bank for premature babies. Milk was contained in a mini- fridge provided by the hospital and left out on our front...
  11. P

Battle Of The Somme 1 July Centenary

Hello Rowan - it's wonderful to hear this about Arthur and I have tried to contact you privately but have been unsuccessful - it's really urgent that I speak to you so do hope we can be in touch. Regards Pat.
  12. P

Dear Janice We don't have his date of birth and just know that he was born about 1878 which isn't much help sadly. Pat
  13. P

Hi Chris - thank you for your reply which was very interesting - Arthur had a sister Rose who was married to Jack Quincey and they lived in Bolton Road, Small Heath and they both worked at the BSA so Arthur could possibly have lived in that same area. On Saturday last we had a very enjoyable...
Back