• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Pat56

1. P

Canadian General Hospital (marston Green) 1941-48

The photo is inserts into my message, but does not upload!! I think it has this time!!
  2. P

The photograph that did not upload with my post above.
  3. P

As part of my research into my mothers early life, I sent a question about this photograph to Library and Archives Canada; thought the response may be of interest/help to anyone else who may come across this thread when researching the Canadian General Hospital, Marston Green. Thank you for...
  4. P

Rigby 1945 Marston Green Nurse

Thanks mikejee. Even though it doesn't immediately stand out as Malvern (or did it to you?), Malvern Road is what we think it could be. Searched the Acocks Green area in an oldish Birmingham A to Z, but couldn't find another road name that fits. Thought someone familiar with the area might come...
  5. P

Anyone able to identify the Acocks Green road name in this address for Rigby?
  6. P

Marston Green Hospital

Opening page of album, A few photos and commentaries from the album.
  7. P

Marston Green Hospital

Back in 2008, post 32 in this thread there is mention of a book in the Central Library - "Canadian General Hospital", Kimmerly and Hamm. This item is now found in the new Library of Birmingham, Level 4 (has to be requested at the Level 4 desk). The book is actually a photograph album put...
  8. P

Marston Green Hospital

More on MGH ........ may be of interest/help to someone. 26/10/40 Buildings leased from Ministry of Health. No.1 Canadian General Hospital (CGH) assigned to MG. November 1940, approx. 140 children moved to hospital with nurses from B'ham hospitals due to air raids. 9/1/41 Canadian Nursing...
  9. P

Cremin Mary Ellen 1945 Marston Green Nurse

Thanks you guys and gals. As a family we are pretty much okay with things after my parents married ... I myself came along a year later, it's really the years before 55 we are finding it difficult to track down. I'm waiting on a response from Sandwell Archives following a request for...
  10. P

Once again, thank you for showing an interest in my post. My mother married in West Bromwich in 1955, her married name was Powell. I have used the Birmingham library access to Ancestry, but as I now live on the far side of Herefordshire I don't get to a B'ham library too often (although might...
  11. P

Thanks Lyn. Yes, have come across the "pay to join" sites .............. trying to decide which one to go with.
  12. P

Trying to find out about my, long deceased, mothers early life. Name: Mary Ellen Cremin. DOB: 24/03/1920, Ireland (Dunmanway, Cork or Macroom, Cork ). Occupation: Nurse, 19th Canadian General Hospital, Marston Green (1943-1948 approx.). Siblings: Sean, Michael and Daniel (Spon Lane, West...
  13. P

Trying to find anyone who is connected to a Sister Rigby; a nurse at Marston Green during the 1940's. I don't have a Christian name to go with Rigby. Sister Rigby was a colleague of Mary Ellen Cremin (my mother) I think Sister Rigby lived somewhere in Acocks Green - not far from the station - I...
  14. P

Marston Green Hospital Nurses

Cecil Harry ???? .......... sorry, can't make out the third word.
  15. P

Marston Green Hospital Nurses

Put the first line of the verse into Google and you quickly discover, it's a well known verse by William Edward Norris. It seems the verse is well quoted today, so may have been widely known and used in the past. Meant to ask in my previous post - what do others think about a handwriting match?
Back