• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by padgo

1. P

Summer Lane

In the 50s I had a paper round starting from that corner and all I can remember was it being fenced off, so I assume it was bomb damage from the war. Dave
  2. P

Hospital Street

Have just been trawling through the Hospital St thread and saw the Prince of Wales Y C mentioned. My friends & I joined in the early 1950s. Len Hale was the leader & Jimmy Wright & his wife were caretakers (they lived next door). We had a good table tennis team & won more than we lost in the...
  3. P

Summer Lane

Hello Lyn, nice to see map of settlement and surrounding area #575. I was living in Lower Tower St in 1951 and my friend lived at 1/313 Summer Lane which is shown. Dave
  4. P

Summer Lane

Have just noticed the picture of the unity club #462. I think this picture was taken just after the fire, which was in 1947. me and my friend were on our way to the Eye hospital when we came across it. Dave
  5. P

Great Russell street

Hi Beresford, although I didn't live in Gt Russell St a lot of my friends did and I also remember the bonfires. Did you know Alfie Wheeldon or Maurice Millard. Dave.
  6. P

Lower Tower Street

#93 shows Hamburgers the scrap metal dealers, I met Dick & Randolph Turpin (the boxers) there, when they collected scrap for their business in Leamington Spa. Dave.
  7. P

Lower Tower Street

Hello Lyn. nice to see another pic of St Nicks, especially from the other side. Dave
  8. P

St Nicolas Lower Tower St Look Ups

Hello Lyn, nice to see another pic of St Nics especialy from the other side, any idea when it was taken. Dave.
  9. P

Hill St?

Hello Dave89, It had obviously changed hands by then, the window which I now know to be in Suffolk St was mostly taken up with trays of birds eggs of all different sorts from Gulls down to Wrens in the early 1950s Dave.
  10. P

Lower Tower Street

hello pommie, I lived in Lower Tower St No 44 (#24 2nd pic, lower of the two houses adjoining Southwells). Dave.
  11. P

Hill St?

It was probably the early 1950s when I used to browse the windows and the shop certainly didn't look like that. Dave.
  12. P

Hill St?

Thanks for that Phil, great pictures. Dave.
  13. P

Lower Tower Street

Hello John. I vaguely remember your half brothers but I was 5 or 6 years older than them, but I have been in touch with an old pal from Lower Tower St and he remembers them well. Dave.
  14. P

Hill St?

Was it Hill St where the buses to Lickey Hills started from? I remember there was a taxidermist on the corner and while my mom waited in the queue I would go and look in the window at all the different birds eggs for sale. Good job it is banned now. Dave.
  15. P

Lower Tower Street

Hello john bev. thanks for that, I don't suppose it mentioned St Nicks being bombed. In a previous post you said you lived at No 64, so you'r sure to remember Micky Kalou, Clifford & Valery Hodgetts & maybe Ronny Povey. Incidently No 44 was on the opposite side of the road adjoining...
Back