• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by PA739

1. P

George Hughes, Wheelmakers

George H Hughes was founded in 1878, but the illustrations and information here are from a 1914 catalogue. Famously the makers of perambulator wheels, the company made a wide range of rubber tyred steel wheels from 5 inches diameter furniture casters at 7 shillings each, up to 48 inches diameter...
  2. P

Stellite Works Aston

The Stellite Works was acquired by Vickers and renamed The Electric & Ordnance Accessories Co. Ltd., to make munitions and electrical products. The company moved to Drews Lane at the end of 1914. PA739
  3. P

British Leyland (before it was British Leyland?)

Pre BMC Nuffield companies in Birmingham were, Morris Commercial at Adderley Park, Nuffield Metal Products at Common Lane, Wolseley at Drews Lane, and SU Carburettors at Wood Lane, Erdington. PA739
  4. P

Alldays & Onions

For anyone interested. The Wolseley Register on-line shop is now selling a book called "Alldays & Onions Pneumatic Engineering Co. Ltd",, which is a complete history of the company and includes over 80 pages of car production data. This could be a short run book, as the Register says it only has...
  5. P

Glovers Road Chinese shop

Are you thinking of Harry Hawkins newsagents shop at 63 Glovers Road? Harry ran the shop with his sister, but they lived in Shirley, and came down to the shop in their little blue Skoda car which he parked on the pavement in front of the shop. This is where I had my regular magazines from...
  6. P

Wolseley Car History

Amidst the horrors of World War 2, Wolseley workers at the Drews Lane factory bought presents for children who were in hospital at Christmas. PA739
  7. P

Morris Commercial Vehicles

Forgot to mention. There is a connection here with Morris Commercial, because that is where the pre-production prototypes were built, and plans to put it into production at Adderley Park were already advanced. PA739
  8. P

I spent about 30 years working for BMC / British Leyland, but the build quality of cars built at Cowley was far better than those built at Longbridge. When Leyland merged with BMC the new ADO 19 "Ant" 4x4, was scrapped because Land Rover objected to it, even though the pre-production prototypes...
  9. P

Unfortunately, Longbridge turned out absolute rubbish in the late 1960's and 1970's. The only thing important in British Leyland days, was meeting production schedules, even if cars were not selling, and ended up rotting away on fields. "Quality" was not in their dictionary! PA739
  10. P

Then & Now

For anybody wanting to take a much closer look, and learn a bit of history, about some of the old buildings still standing in the city centre, try the pocket guide book "FACES of OLD BIRMINGHAM", I think it is only available from Symphony Hall Gift Shop. (130 pages in full colour) PA739
  11. P

Midland Motor Omnibus Co Midland Red

I think the D9 buses were far better than some of our rear engine buses; quiet, powerful and a better ride with their independent front suspension, and of course, were the first double deckers fitted with front disc brakes, although they had problems, apparently, finding a high melting point...
  12. P

Ex-Army Transport Ltd

Looks as if Ex. Army Transport Ltd., was a national company, but sub-contracted work out to existing haulage companies. See attached picture. PA739
  13. P

Women in industry WW1 and WW2

Attached - Wolseley and Morris Commercial women workers preparing to march in Drews Lane, WW2. PA739
  14. P

Alldays & Onions

David, Alldays & Onions Ltd., merged with J C Peacock & Co Ltd., and moved to Weston super Mare, but this company was taken over later by the German Witt Group, located in Halifax, Yorkshire. There was a complete history of A&O published in 2002 by Landmark Publishing, ISBN 1 84306 047 7. PA739
  15. P

Coventry Road, Small Heath

Yes, the shop where you bought your ice cream cornets was Devoti's. The family also had a shop in the Bull Ring, opposite the Market Hall, if I remember correctly. PA739
Back