• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by oldroddy

1. O

Old street pics..

When I lived in Gt Russel Street it was Newtown Row,(Up until 1963 aged 8,going on 9))it seemed to be a natural divide between Hockley and Aston.
  2. O

St Mary's Cof E School, Avenue Rd, Aston

See my post no.13,i remember most of the names you mention,yours and Susans too,did Linda James have a brother?,Robert perhaps. My name is Roderick Kennedy,Happy Easter.
  3. O

Sayings, legends and customs.

The version i know goes like this,you know what thought done,went to bed,and thought again.
  4. O

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Did that become Bloomers?.
  5. O

Aston Road North - Modern & Old Together

The white frontage was where i started work,my first job,it was the old offices/showrooms of the old MEB,as the building towering above was MEB too,see the arched top of the windows high up,those window frames were made of phosphour bronze,and worth a pretty penny. Also Tyreweld made remoulds,as...
  6. O

Lichfield Road Aston

Aston Manor PO,Startins,and The Big Broom,all premise's i have had to visit running errands in days gone by,The Big Broom was like an alladins cave,Startins was where my old boy would send me for spares for his minivan,then his Austin Cambridge,and i used to collect my mom's family allowance...
  7. O

The Swan Yardley

Great pub in its day was the Swan,there was a manager for every room,had some good times in there,followed by Bloomers across the road.
  8. O

City Centre Photographs

Avenue road,in Aston was partly wooden blocks,they were there untill i left Aston in 1971/1972,they were at the rear of St Mary's up towards Aston Road.
  9. O

Hardy Spicers Ltd

I used to go to the social club they had on a Saturday night,this was in the early 70's.Used to go with a lad who worked there,and other friends. We used to bus it from Aston Road,the bus stop being opposte the old toilets over the brook,and stagger back,good times.
  10. O

Stretton Road Aston

The old M.E.B building was on the corner of Chester St,and Rocky Lane,i worked on the Chester St side,and there was a stairway inside the building that led all the way around to the Rocky Lane side. I was given the job one day of removing the old window frames from the main building on Rocky...
  11. O

Stretton Road Aston

I have posted previously on another thread that my first job was just about opposite Stretton Rd,in part of the old M.E.B premise's,all these years later,my first grandchild,who is almost 6,has the last name,Stretton.
  12. O

King Kong

You are correct about KK motors starting on Ladypool Rd,a friend of mine bought motor from them in 1976,and i have been on those premise's on a number of occasions,they used a finance company on the corner across the road from their site,as my friend and i paid them a visit,as the car he bought...
  13. O

Birmingham in 1950s

Just thinking about the phrase,"old cronk",is something/someone(haha),that the wheels have fell off,with age,and wear and tear.
  14. O

Old street pics..

I have driven through to Turves Green by going left off the main road into the Kalamazoo turning,back in the late 70's,i'm sure Longbridge conservative club is/was there,well a club of some sort anyway.
  15. O

Birmingham in 1950s

I was one of those mad kids,lol,oh and Terry re the skimmers,its just a case of interlocking them correctly.
Back