• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by oldbrit

1. oldbrit

What type of motor cycle?

It looks like a Canardly to me.
  2. oldbrit

Occupations - Disappeared

In Colorado we did have shoe repair shops but most have gone now
  3. oldbrit

Occupations - Disappeared

Cobblers, no one repairs holes in shoes anymore
  4. oldbrit

Childhood Memories

SO what is COKE not the drug type of course and was it as cheap as coal? Did it emit fumes and pollute like coal?
  5. oldbrit

SALFORD BRIDGE AREA NEW PHOTOS

The late and great Graham Webb raced at SALFORD PARK in the 1960s does anyone have any photos of the track and the date that the track opened? All the photos that were on the post are not there anymore
  6. oldbrit

Childhood Memories

Not as messy as coal, but you are right took more time to get going
  7. oldbrit

Childhood Memories

I do remember that we switched from coal to coke at one time?
  8. oldbrit

Tour de France 2020 - 107th. year

Froome lost 11 min on first stage
  9. oldbrit

We went to Europe and rode all over and I did buy some Hutchison tubs in France cheap, they lasted a little longer, but I did not feel any real difference racing on them. My Dunlops rode fine, I used #2s for the track a few times, They had #1 silks also, but never could afford them.
  10. oldbrit

I always used Dunlops #3 had tons of them, would spend the dark winter nights fixing the bloody things for next season got pretty good with a curved needle, but sometimes Mom would help out HaHa!!
  11. oldbrit

Old street pics..

I am trying to find what year this photo of ME and MY sister Joan was taken, There is a TROLLEY BUS in the background what year is this bus? I was born in 1933 Joan 1936 I look about 5 years old could this have been taken that long ago poss 1938?
  12. oldbrit

Jazz bands of Birmingham

Loved Trad jazz and followed Hump during the 1950s. I was schooled in Classical music and really not a jazz player at all, my band played dance music, at many local pubs in the 1950s did well and had a good following, Colin Willets on piano went on to be well know and of course "Eddie" or "Ted"...
  13. oldbrit

Smethwick

My Grandfather William (Wil) Crump and his deaf mute Brother, Frank Crump, worked there all their lives
  14. oldbrit

Victoria Square

In 1950 When I worked for William Bloye the sculptor, I carved the inscription on the plinth, not sure if it is the same plinth now as then. Bloye also recast the statue of Queen Vic she was missing her spectershe held at one time
  15. oldbrit

Criminal Records

Thanks