• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Old Joe

1. O

Harborne

I worked at Harborne Post office as a teen`agera s a Telegram Boy Went skating on Harborne Rezza very often and had a nasty experience one day when the ice started cracking badly
  2. O

Pre war Motorcycle Clubs

Brian I sent a reply by clicking on Reply tsender Windows 8 is new to me so I am not sure if my reply being sent that way but I will look in again Cheers Joe
  3. O

City Centre Photographs

Re: City Centre Photo Album I recall King Edwards scool at the bottom of New St My wife Audrey often tells me about a New shoe shop that was close by and thesre wasa fair sizded crowd out side watching proceedings. She was told the lady opening the shop was none other than Elizabeth...
  4. O

City Centre Photographs

Could notfind the photo but will try again later when fully awake ................ I di see a pic on here some time ago of the fountains in Chamberlain ? Square..... Used to sail putt putt boats there when aged around 7.
  5. O

Pre war Motorcycle Clubs

Hi I amold Brummiebut now have a new name I contacted theAMCA at Cannock and found out the building they work from is called Hyland House after Eck Hyland
  6. O

the first isle of man tt

Went to the IOM in 1949 to the Manks Grand Prig Watched at Craignyba Ernie Lyons won the race.. Stared at No12 and had passed everyone else who set out before him Great Memories
  7. O

Chamberlain Square - The Changing Face

Good to see that pic of the Fountains In around 1933 my brothers and I used to sail ouR putput boats on therE and some times have to paddle in to retrieve them Also recallwhen some one threy in a bag of soap flakes and made a LOT of bubbles
  8. O

City Centre Photographs

Any one know what happened to a little passageway .Think it was called Colonade Passage ran from New sy and probably was parralel to Ethel St Possibly would have beenthe first p litle passage way in New st onthe right hand side? Was a model shop of some note in there Old Joe
  9. O

Pinsfold St Access To New St Station

I have become involved in a discussion on New t staion in the 1930 era. .................. Its a long shot I know but would any one have a pic at the bottom end of Pinsford St where it joined onto Navigation St There were some stairs going down onto the very end of one of the Platforms of New...
  10. O

Springhill Ice rink Summerhill Road

Went ot ice rink on Thursday afternnons and on Sat Night Used to tip toe out acctrs the road to the PUB Had to pass inspection so the doorman could see that you did not have hired skates on. Also went roller skating at athe Embassy and met my wife Audrey there....... Thursday aftern00ns wer a...
  11. O

Norton Motorcycles Bracebridge Street

Hi to fallen Angel If you are doing some History of Norton you may know who it was that fell of and broke his armf Old Joe
  12. O

Soho Road Handsworth

Some wonderfull pictures I was hoping to see one of Vale-Onslow motorbike shop from around 1947 Old Joe
  13. O

Norton Motorcycles Bracebridge Street

I nrecall the Nortons in Bracebriodge st When I worked as a drivers mate at GWR Hockley we travelled along Brace bridge quite ofte.It wasseeing the testers tearing around that made be determined to be one myself and I went to BSA in 1948-9 and after working thru various departments there...
  14. O

Midland Red Around Birmingham.

Hi toEx Midland Red I see that you give Armoury Rd as one of your addresse When I was last in Armoury Rd in 1989 there was not a house left standing so they must have built some new houses there later Just a bit curious etc At one btime I lived in Watreworks Rd and the MR buses were...
Back