• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by norfolk brummie

1. norfolk brummie

Memories of a Birmingham Musician (Drummer)!

I love that Maurice. Wonderful story. Yes, I agree. In the traditional dress suit, or as we sometimes referred to it , the 'Penguin Suit', we did feel like the waiters at some of the functions we played at. To have a different mode of dress, I have to say, did make us feel different. When we...
  2. norfolk brummie

During the early 1950's, in my musical career, a 'Dress Suit' was an automatic necessity in any musicians wardrobe. No dress suit, no gig. Initially I improvised with a dark jacket, and dark trousers, but would always get 'the look' from other musicians in the band. On my 21st birthday, one of...
  3. norfolk brummie

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Lovely story, Maurice/
  4. norfolk brummie

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

W Maurice, What is not generally well known is that Charlie Watts, when not playing with the Rolling Stones, is a great jazz fan. A few year's ago, Charlie formed a big band, playing all the great jazz numbers, with himself on drums. Around 1980, I had a meeting with Kenney Jones, the...
  5. norfolk brummie

Dudley Zoo

Some photographs from a day with my then girlfriend,at Dudley Zoo, 1954. I have never been back since, and no doubt everything has completely changed, especially the animal welfare. Eddie
  6. norfolk brummie

Just listened to the singing of Ronnie Hilton on the Graham Norton Saturday morning radio show. The record was "A Windmill In Old Amsterdam". Pure commercial stuff, recorded around the mid sixties, and a hit for Ronnie. I was reminded that Ronnie had a few hits around the fifties and sixties...
  7. norfolk brummie

Thank you very much, Maurice. Wonderful music and memories. Three incredible musicians. Although I first met Oscar Peterson in Berlin, I met up with him again, in Toronto, at a music fair. He was a very charming man. Martin Drew was very particular about his cymbals, having spent hours...
  8. norfolk brummie

In my professional career I was often at some jazz festival or other, mainly in Europe, or the States. Drummers have a great reputation for mutual respect, and admiration, and we would meet up back stage for a chat, a drink, or a meal. Photo One: Martin Drew, a very fine English drummer, and...
  9. norfolk brummie

Snow Hill Station

10. norfolk brummie

My trip to the Dentist.

Today we were discussing teeth problems, and I recounted how, when we were children, and if we had an aching, or loose tooth, usually 'milk' teeth, one of the solutions was to wrap strong cotton around the tooth, and tie the other and to the door knob ! I cannot recall whether this ever worked...
  11. norfolk brummie

Josiah Mason Mausoleum Graveyard

Hello CHINCH, I have no idea of any names. My sister and I were only placed in there for six weeks. We were not really orphans. Our father was away, fighting, and our mother had been diagnosed with Scarlet Fever, and taken to hospital. Because the disease is contagious, our relatives were...
  12. norfolk brummie

On Tuesday, we lost a very dear friend. Margaret Williamina (Willi) Zildjian. Willi was the wife of Robert (Bob) Zildjian. To most of the folk on the BHF, the name does not mean much, but in the world of drums, it is arguably the most famous on the planet. What Rolls Royce is to motoring...
  13. norfolk brummie

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

Gutters could be fun. Going to school, and back home, often twice a day, I once found a penny lying in the gutter. I then started to keep an eye out for coins in the gutter. It literally paid off, I did find a 'threpennybit', and a sixpence on other occasions. I suspect they may have been...
  14. norfolk brummie

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

On 1937 I had my one first brief view of the sea. My mother had taken me down to Porthcawl to see my father, who was down there with the Territorial Army, Did not visit the seaside again for another eleven years. I have to admit that I cannot recall attempting to dam a river flow, but I...
  15. norfolk brummie

Hi Bob, John Steel was one of our Premier drum endorsers, in the sixties and seventies. Somewhere in a great pile of drum related material, I have photographs of John. Must dig them out. Many of those groups that were at the forefront, during the British domination of popular music, have...
Back