• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Nigel Edwards

1. Nigel Edwards

Scams: telephone, email, texts 2022

My favourite is; when asked if that is Mr ******, I say no, but I'll get him for you . . . . . ! they have a LONG wait. Or the "Sorry we only rent this property" is a good one.
  2. Nigel Edwards

Birmingham Cardrome Coventry Road

Just found my badge, circa 1966? with 14 others inc Graham Garner & Tom Oakes . . . . . .
  3. Nigel Edwards

Not THE Peter McKenna from BSM Oxford?
  4. Nigel Edwards

Birmingham buses

Comments , both here and in the transport press, about the enormous cost of restoring 486. Lloyd, modest as he is, outlines some of the obsticles without mentioning the pivotal part he played in both the original rescue of this bus and subsequent hands-on participation in its magnificent...
  5. Nigel Edwards

Birmingham buses

In 1957 when I became a driver we were told never to pick-up inside the city boundary as it contravened licensing regulations and disiplinary action would follow. In my time things were very strict, I still have some disiplinary 'hearing' notes for 'running early', and uniform 'misdemenours'...
  6. Nigel Edwards

Moor Street Station

Like this . . . .
  7. Nigel Edwards

P.S.V. Badge

Still mean a great deal, I never conducted going straight to Bearwood from RAF as they needed drivers in 1957.
  8. Nigel Edwards

Electric Milk Floats

Ah, the days of the Electric milk float. I learnt to drive (very unofficially in my early teens) on a Midland Counties Float helping 'Bill' from the Shirley Midland counties depot - I still fondly remember the Reg No: EOA937. This was a Saturday 2/6 job enabling me to buy the "Eagle" every week...
  9. Nigel Edwards

Birmingham buses

Roy, you are probably aware your Granddad's 'last turn' was not the end for FOK90 - it had an 'afterlife' ! No doubt they had to source a "new" rear view mirror . . . . .
  10. Nigel Edwards

Birmingham buses

Hi Roy, I was doing some Trolleybus research recently (what else in 'lockdown) and came across the 'Mail' article you referred to. Hope this helps
  11. Nigel Edwards

Vehicle Registration Numbers

AON was first issued February 1960
  12. Nigel Edwards

mbenne. John later (I think) was part of the Ventu 'buyout' and only retired a few years ago
  13. Nigel Edwards

You probably knew John Tustain then?
  14. Nigel Edwards

Hi, I worked there from the day it opened - one of the 14 salesmen. The building took up a whole block and was 3 storeys high with a car lift between floors. The ground and 1st floor were sales with the top floor for servicing and valeting the Sales cars. Initially the boss was a Mr Tom Oakes...
  15. Nigel Edwards

Lincoln Street Motors

Yes Eric, I was there then - we had to work Sundays, especially when the "Cardrome" (with three floors) opened - remember that on Coventry Road? Harry, especially, 'pushed the limits', a fearless entrepreneur . . . .
Back