• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by nickcc101

1. N

Garages And Service Stations

Coop was the main breakdown mechanic who we all tried to work with even missing our day release. We had an old Atkinson wrecker with hand winches and dreadful brakes. Terry Jordan was the lad who usually worked with coop. They used to go down the pits in the syndromic section and pretend they...
  2. N

Fleur-de-Lys pies

We get plenty of Pasties here in Cornwall but the major chains are usually rubbish just full of veg and little meat.
  3. N

Smith's Coaches Stratford Road

Stocklands relied on seasonal and part timers as most of the work out of season was work services including work for the coal board moving miners from pits that had closed to those remaining open. I worked at Stocklands as a PSV mechanic but preferred doing the Friday overnight trips to South...
  4. N

Fleur-de-Lys pies

Our regular stop after a night at the Tower Ballroom late sixties. Steak and Kidney mind you not Turkey
  5. N

Smith's Coaches Stratford Road

I remember Stocklands had a model T Charabanc stored at the Marsh hill Garage. This used to be used for the Erdington show Back in the sixties.
  6. N

Perry Beeches Secondary School

Only one teacher got my full attention but unfortunately never taught our class and that was the young lady PE teacher. :)
  7. N

Is This Your Motor?

And yes the front wheels did fall off or should I say the suspension collapsed
  8. N

Weather : past adverse weather in Birmingham

At least the diesel waxing problem had been solved by then introducing winter grade diesel which changed the cold plugging point (waxing/freezing) Unlike the winter of 62/63 when we spent weeks going out to HGV’s to bypass chassis mounted fuel filters.
  9. N

Perry Beeches Secondary School

I don’t know about chaining to railings to save the School I’d have happily helped whoever set fire to it whilst I was there in 1960. I also retired to Cornwall which seems to be well occupied by Beeches road retired pupils.
  10. N

Jag or Rover?

What no air con . I remember picking up a hire car at Orlando Airport late eighties and was so grateful for air con. First time we’d ever had a car with aircon but since the mid nineties we’ve never been without it.
  11. N

Where was your first holiday?

Flights always had the more expensive coaches and always kept immaculate. We were parked up in the coach park in Rhyl next to the Flights Villa coach which was being used on a day excursion, those lucky passengers must have thought themselves very lucky to be sitting with a table complete with...
  12. N

We did everything in house including bodywork and engine reconditioning, the only time work was farmed out was major accident repairs.
  13. N

The old time Drivers would know every trick in the book how to increase their, poor at the time,wages. Best tip was how to unload the boot and side lockers by handing cases to customers and not just emptying everything out with the passengers picking up their luggage and walking away. Another...
  14. N

During my 3 years working for Stocklands I would work nights during the main season repairing the coaches ready for service the next day. The cleaners would also work nights readying the vehicles for the next day. A really happy and enjoyable time of my life.
  15. N

Stockland Coaches were at Stockland green until Bowen took them over. Andys were in Nechells I believe.
Back