• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by NickAmeghino

1. N

Did army enlistment take place in Bishopsgate St. B'ham in Dec 1941?

Hi KathyP. Thanks for your message, and for your supportive comments. I would like to help you with your research. Coincidentally, my dad's regiment (148th Regiment Royal Armoured Corps) was attached to the 51st Highland Division during 1944. Do you know what regiment your Dad was in? As you...
  2. N

Thanks, Shortie. Any help will be very much appreciated. Practicing being loving, forgiving, accepting and non-judgmental - towards myself and others - is part of my spiritual path. Practice makes perfect, and I have a long way to go, but the benefits are increased energy and happiness and...
  3. N

I think you are making the point that the importance of things varies, and I agree. However, it is my point of view that the value attached to something is a subjective matter, and that this particular point about the place of enlistment is of importance to me at the moment, even if it is of no...
  4. N

Dear Old Boy, I feel uncomfortable with your comment about the importance of knowing the place of my father's enlistment. As my father spoke so little about these matters, all the details that my father shared are important to me, and I hope you can respect that. These websites contain...
  5. N

Thanks for checking the directories, horsencart, I appreciate it. Perhaps there was an office used for enlistment near the junction of Bishopsgate St with Broad St? Nick The Duck
  6. N

Hello, Please can anyone tell me where men were enlisted (volunteers or conscripts) in Birmingham in December 1941? My dad (Bernard Charles Ameghino) said he was conscripted in Bishopsgate Street. (I can't ask him for information now - sadly he died in 2001.) He joined the 60th Training...
  7. N

WW1 Medals Roll Index Cards lookup please

Thanks, Suzanne, that's helped. It's great to know about new resources - I wasn't aware of that website. Thanks again. Nick
  8. N

Thanks Colin. I've contacted the CWGC. Apparently, J.B REEVES' details were listed under T.B.REEVES due to a scanning error in their office from their own records. So, they're going to correct the typo. They said that the headstone is definitely a CWGC one, and is maintained by them. It was...
  9. N

Thanks, Colin, that's helped a lot. I guess J B Reeves would have had to have been very ill to be discharged? Thanks for the link too. Nick
  10. N

Hi Suzanne and Colin, I forgot to say that my g.gf J B Reeves was resident at 12 Guest Street, Hockley, Birmingham when he died. This matches the address on the details looked up by Suzanne. Good! Thanks, Nick
  11. N

Dear all, Someone else was kind enough to look at the microfilm entry for John Bernard REEVES and found the following info. Can anyone translate this, please? regiment inland water transport royal engineers it states that his date of enlistment was 1/ 4 / 18 date of discharge 2 / 12 /18...
  12. N

Hello Suzanne, Many thanks for looking up these details. Please could you tell me the type of record that these addresses were listed in. Thanks, Nick
  13. N

Hello Colin, Thanks for your efforts and searches. I have the death certificate for my g.gf John Bernard Reeves. He died in the General Hospital in Birmingham of influenza and pneumonia. There is a family story that because he died after he had left the army, there was no pension available for...
  14. N

Hello. :) Please can someone do a lookup in the WW1 Medals Roll Index Cards for my g.gf. John Bernard REEVES. There is a military gravestone for him at St.Joseph's RC Church, Nechells. The headstone says: WR/344011 SAPPER J. B. REEVES ROYAL ENGINEERS 10TH MARCH 1919 He died after the war had...
  15. N

St Joseph's Nechells Lookups

Hello Margaret, I hope the following helps in some way. Visiting St.Chad's cathedral archives is via appointment only. You have to make a phone call to get an appt. The person to speak to is the Reverend John Sharp. Contact him on 0121 230 6252. You will need to phone after 11am. The archives...
Back