• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Nick Phillips

1. N

Return to the Moderator Team

Welcome back, hope you enjoy enjoy yourself. Nick Phillips :rolleyes:
  2. N

George Street West

ER Allen, great map, wish I had a copy. Wonder how old it is? Thank you Nick Phillips
  3. N

Is This Your Motor?

If you look with a magnifying glass, on the grill you can see a badge. Only a guess but I'm sure its an Austin. Sure someone will give us the model. Nick Phillips
  4. N

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Nick Phillips
  5. N

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

If I remember correctly, the building to the right in the 30/60s was Yates's wine lodge. If I'm wrong it was the next building. But I'm sure it is. Do you notice the change in driving laws the Ford parked by the crossing would not be allowed today. Nick Phillips
  6. N

Canals of Birmingham

I know this spot well opposite is a " stop lock " many people look at having no idea what it was for. Do you know why it was called a "Banana wharf?" Nick Phillips.
  7. N

Wilton Street Lozells

Lyn my father born in 1914 brought me and my brothers up to remember "Thank you" costs "Nothing" but its "worth a fortune". Nick
  8. N

Wilton Street Lozells

Lyn, I've said before how much I appreciate the work you and other staff do. I enjoy looking at other peoples interest it shows how the City changes over the years. I think its positive if members can also have a little input. Thank you Nick Phillips
  9. N

Wilton Street Lozells

I've just looked up Wilton St B19 in an old six shillings A-Z, then it was a much longer street then it is today. Nick Phillips
  10. N

Town or City

In our house town was Birmingham, City was London. Nick.
  11. N

Brookfields Ellen Street School

Terence, I'm pleased to say I often pass the old school and its still open. I was a pupil at the school from 1957 - 1963. I still remember my first day. I did not want to stay. Miss Clancy locked the door, like any good Hockley lad I left via the window and ran home. I did enjoy my years at...
  12. N

Cobbled Streets Of Birmingham

Dave, this is was childhood area back in the 50s. The area had many different types of housing. Some were back to back houses. Some even had a garden. I remember our house only had one cold water tap an outside toilet, a coal fire in winter that kept one room warm in the winter. A cold house in...
  13. N

Sutton Park

Again this is from Memory, when it became apart of Birmingham ( I also think it was before West Midlands ). The sign "YOU ARE INTERING ROYAL SUTTON COLDFIELD" were going to be removed. I think it was the residents got together to keep them in place. Nick Phillips
  14. N

Sutton Park

Lloyd, thanks for that. I'm surprised that it was 1974 I would have thought it would have been much earlier. I do remember that a lot of Sutton residents were unhappy it becoming apart of B'ham am I correct it was "Royal Sutton Coldfield?" Nick Phillips
Back