• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by mrose1701

1. M

Malt Shovel - Dartmouth Street

Mike - Many thanks for your detailed reply and explanation - as per usual you have another satisfied customer !!
  2. M

Malt Shovel - Dartmouth Street

Believe the Malt Shovel pub existed in Dartmouth Street but not sure of the number. Reading a previous thread it appears as being number 108 but in others it appears as 150 - can anyone confirm which is correct? A relative's grandmother Annie M Lloyd is apparently listed in one of the Kellys...
  3. M

From a chippy in icknield st to hollywood

Happy memories !! The missus hailed from Alexandra Street Ladywood and worked at Bulpitts in the early 60s. Can remember the chippie in the block of shops opposite and the pics of her daughter on the wall - sadly flattened in the mid 60s and replaced by a concrete precinct and a plastic pub...
  4. M

Harry Oates - final resting place

Thanks Brian and Shortie, have just received email from Kings Norton/Brandwood to say that Harry Oates is not in either of their cemeteries - will keep looking !
  5. M

Brian - All of that is very useful info and very informative - have sent out two emails that are still waiting answers - will wait and see what materializes before starting on them individually - starting with Handsworth ! We also had thought he might be buried in a family plot - apparently...
  6. M

Hi Bernie - Have emailed Robin Hood as Lesley suggested and Harry's not there according to their records. Also had email back from St Marys/St Anns Moseley and not there either !! Have emailed Brandwood/Yardley and Witton but not had any responses back yet - will keep you posted !
  7. M

Thanks Brian and Wendy - have emailed Witton but not Handsworth or Perry Barr Crem. - did they do cremations in 1950 or were most people buried then? I am told he probably would have been mentioned in an obituary in the Birmingham Post/Mail but not sure how to access their old records - have...
  8. M

Hi Bri - many thanks for that although I guessed he wasn't in either of these even though he worked as a factory owner at the Lion Works in Key Hill Drive at the back of the cemetery. He lived in Great Barr and then the last few years in Moseley before passing away in 1950. Am now sending...
  9. M

Thanks Leslam will see if I can find them on a net and make an enquiry.
  10. M

Hi Dib44, Thanks for that - that's Harry. I'm told by my neighbour that he lived in Springfield Rd, Moseley (off Wake Green Road) prior to his passing away. Are there any churches/graveyards local to this area ?
  11. M

Think you've found the death of Harry on the database - could send off for the death cert. but don't think this will tell us where his final resting place is.
  12. M

Hi Dwilly - yes this is the wedding he was pageboy at - reception was at the Botanical Gardens, Edgbaston. He was not sure if the wedding was officiated there as well- would have to send off for the marriage cert. to establish that.
  13. M

Can any of you great detectives/sleuths on this site help me find the final resting place of Harry Oates. Harry is listed on the deaths database as dying in Brum in 1950 (no idea what quarter). My next door neighbour was pageboy at his daughters wedding in 1943 and would like to visit Harry's...
  14. M

Oates, electoral registers request

Hi Mike, Many thanks for your efforts but doesn't sound like the same Harold to me - not sure where to go from here !!
  15. M

Oates, electoral registers request

Hi, Can anybody find a Harold Oates for me between the years of 1940 and 1955 through the electoral rolls. He lived with his wife Jennifer (Jenny) and daughter Margaret - believed to be somewhere in Birmingham Rd or Walsall Rd, Great Barr and then possibly Wake Green Road, Moseley - not sure...
Back