• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by mossg

1. M

The Bosted Boot

Thanks for that, have you any idea why it was the Bosted Boot?
  2. M

The Bosted Boot

Hi all I haven't been on the forum lately and I have a question, has anyone heard of a pub in Aston nicknamed THE BOSTED BOOT ? I would guess it had this nickname in the 1940s and 50s.
  3. M

Tower street

Good morning Tower street, I attended St George primary & intfant school from about 1951 to 1956 and remember Ron? Bache, Keith & David Ashley. I lived in Hospital street myself.
  4. M

Tower street

My great grandparents lived there in 1901 in 1911 they were living in Lennox street, their name was Green. mossg
  5. M

Tower street

Hi all, I hope you are all well. The 1901 census shows my great grandparents living at No2 court 7.
  6. M

Summer Lane School

Most pupils favourite teacher especially if you liked sport. Many years after i left school i was having a social drink with Mr Reece ( another sport lover ) he told me that in his opinion Mr Edwards was the best teacher he ever worked with.
  7. M

Summer Lane School

Hi John, you must be John who lived in Summer Lane behind Allen’s chip shop. You were good at sports and played in most of the teams. have you seen the school staff staff pictures on #65 on page 4. Great to hear from you,keep well and stay safe. Moss
  8. M

Frankfort street, Hockley

Hi Lost family. I remember Blackie Raven, he used to sell Perry Winks by the pint from his cart around the streets at weekends.
  9. M

Hospital Street

Thanks for putting e right Tony, I bow to Mikegees superior knowledge he is the A1 man to go to with these problems. In fact looking through the posts he has already explained this and I have forgotten ( age ) Moss
  10. M

Hospital Street

Hi Tony welcome to the forum, if my memory serves me well Upper Hospital street was the north end of the street therefore Farm street was at the upper Hospital street end.there was was also a Lower Hospital street [ town end ] with Hospital street in the middle. Moss
  11. M

Snow Hill (the Road)

Hi tim eborn. I think this picture has been on the forum before,it shows the Wimpy bar at the top of Snow Hill in the 1950s i think. mossg
  12. M

Hi Tom, Roger will know me as moss, if he remembers me at all. I don't think for a minute Dougie will remember me at all as the only time we would have met would have been when Summer Lane played against Gower street. It would be great if you found any pictures of our teams at either St George's...
  13. M

Hi Tom. You are right about the position of Roger ( please give him my regards the next time you speak to him ) 2nd left middle row is Jeff Beddoes. I have re posted the picture with most of their names. I remember Dougie Prosser, He went to Gower St school, and also played for Aston Boys.
  14. M

Hi Tom welcome to the forum. I remember your dad Trevor well, having played in the same football and cricket teams as him at both St Georges and Summer Lane schools. Unfortunately all of my team photos have disappeared over the years, and the only one left is one of Summer Lane PE team which...
  15. M

Temple Row

It looks like the roof of the pub was blown off. The first picture shows ANS which was obviously ANSELLS, the second picture shows the rest of their sign The Better Beer.
Back