• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Mohawk

1. M

Lozells

I seem to recall it was in that part, Judy - hope Max enlightens us! When I get chance I'll have a look at Keith Berry's collection, that's usually a good source of clues (and nostalgia). If you aren't aware of it, it's at www.pbase.com/beppuu/lozells
  2. M

Lozells

Thanks for that, Max. I'm trying to remember the Wrensons on Villa Rd, I can just about picture the Paynes.
  3. M

Radio

Wow, Bill, that looks like fun! As for those two, alias Charles and Fiona, who could forget them? I'm so terribly, achingly, lip-bitingly, dog-in-the-mangerly sure and yet...... somehow, uncertain. I know. I know you know. I know you know I know. I know. PRICELESS!
  4. M

Radio

Thanks for that, senior one (it's worth talking to you just to be called 'young' again!). Fascinating stuff, I'll be looking into that. I don't recall the tapping, but now have some vague recollection of the numbers. Perhaps they had the inspiration from our "messages to our friends overseas"...
  5. M

Radio

He was a Lancastrian, Maria. He actually had a sausage and pie-making business and was inspired to start after-dinner speaking by real-life characters that he'd encountered. He once recalled how he met one of the most notable of these, a decorator who, on being invited to quote for some work at...
  6. M

Radio

No bells ringing this time, OM - enlighten me please!
  7. M

Radio

Some more great memories come flooding back, Bill. I imagine the commodity prices still feature on 'Farming Today' on Radio 4, though I haven't caught up in many years on the latest prices for pork bellies! Housewives' Choice was indeed presented by many people over its near 20-year run, a lot...
  8. M

Radio

Paul, if you look at post #18 on this thread, there's a link to Wikipedia that explains the shipping forecast, that article has links to all the regions, including German Bight. It's west of Jutland, roughly!
  9. M

Radio

Another good one, that! No, that was to 'Clementine' and I nearly posted that one! Have a vada at this: "Oh they hung him by the postern, Nailed his moulie to the fence - For to warn all young cordwanglers That it was a grave offence." A warning to us all.
  10. M

Lozells

Hi Max. Our kid's was blue, I'm sure, but you may be right about the colour change; he was around the same age as you so the one I recall may have been that year's 'in-colour'. Which Wrensons were you at? I remember the black delivery bikes with the sign-written panels. We had a branch at the...
  11. M

Radio

Hello me deario, I'll take a chance with an extract from one of my favourites, to the tune of 'The Lincolnshire Poacher' : "Oh once I took my moulies and I set them in a snare. Twas then I spied a scropers man a'whirdling a hare. But I was not afeared my boys of that there is no doubt. Oh tis...
  12. M

Radio

Agreed, Arkwrite, about KW, he's still making us laugh long after he took his leave. As for exports, I'll tell you what's been one of this country's biggest exports in recent years - jobs.
  13. M

Lozells

Thanks, Max. I recall my brother having one of those little blue cards for his paper-round at Cooks in Burbury St. All that officialdom's gone now - having been replaced by much more, of course!
  14. M

Radio

Bill, you and I have so much in common on this! I can indeed confirm that KH was Chairman of The Chad Valley Company and Triplex Safety Glass (later to become part of Pilkingtons), he gave up his business interests because of ill-health, and concentrated on comedy - it's an ill wind, etc! I...
  15. M

Radio

Long may they do so, Stitcher. I was glad to see that idiotic plan to turn off the analogue signal was ditched. Yes, the balance of payments figures were one of the great 'totems' of British politics at one time, they've hardly had a mention in the last 2 decades.
Back