• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by mizzyjo

1. mizzyjo

Watery Lane

How can I get to see the pictures that are being mentioned please?
  2. mizzyjo

Watery Lane

This shop is directly opposite no 200 where I lived. At the time I was there it was owned by a young couple who had a baby whilst I was there!
  3. mizzyjo

Watery Lane

No, the house numbers weren't odds and evens Mike. My next door neighbours were 199 and 201. My granddads shop was 216 and the White Hart pub was 215, both on the same side as me.
  4. mizzyjo

Watery Lane

Yes, I lived at no 200. Quite happy there till we were infested by bed bugs from new neighbours! haaha But they were all friendly people, you could leave your door unlocked at all times! No 200 was opposite a little grocery shop, run by a young couple, they had a new baby there, but I can't...
  5. mizzyjo

Watery Lane

I loved the Peaky Blinders, but looking at the mock-up of the street, if you wanted the loo, you would have to run to the end of the road, turn right and find your loo between all the others!! Imagine!!! there wasn't an entry in sight!
  6. mizzyjo

Watery Lane

Hi everyone. Not been on here for a while. I've just downloaded some photo's of Watery Lane. I'm interested because my granddad had a bicycle hire shop there and in the 1960's I was given 200 Watery Lane, where I lived for a few years!! When I looked on the 1911 census I think it was, 7...
  7. mizzyjo

Watery Lane

Further down was the White Hart, number 215 Watery Lane. My granddad had a bicycle hire shop across the road, that was number 216!! I think they were demolished after 1930's because I found them in Glover street on the next census
  8. mizzyjo

Watery Lane

This is right opposite 200 Watery Lane!
  9. mizzyjo

Watery Lane

I worked at the High Stool in the 60's! I got the sack from there as I told 2 old ladies, who asked if we used 'real' butter on the toast, that it was in fact Stork margarine. If you had margarine on toast, it was Echo!! I was so disgusted by this state of affairs, I couldn't go along with...
  10. mizzyjo

Watery Lane

In the last picture above, no 200, where I lived, is the 4th door down from the camera, next to the wide opening which led to the courtyard at the back and the outside loos!!
  11. mizzyjo

Watery Lane

12. mizzyjo

Watery Lane

Watery Lane in the '30's! Granddads shop to the extreme left on the first picture and the White Hart pub on the opposite corner, nearest the camera
  13. mizzyjo

Watery Lane

Are you sure the cafe was called the White Hart? I worked there in the '60's and it was the High Stool cafe then. The White Hart Pub was on the corner of Watery Lane and Keeley Street!! My granddad had a bicycle hire and repair shop on the opposite side in the 30's!!
  14. mizzyjo

Watery Lane

I lived at 200 Watery Lane in the 60's, with husband and 3 children! Mrs Cook and her two grown sons lived in the house behind us!!
  15. mizzyjo

City Centre Photographs

It's Galloways Corner isn't it? Jo
Back