• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by MILLS

1. M

PTE. John GIBBONS, 11845, 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment.

Janice/MWS, Thank you as always you find the missing link. I didn't find your 1901 Census, I did find the other one shown which I rejected. The 1947 death looks likely. I have emailed one of the Family trees which have 2 pictures of a soldier from WW1 hoping they can confirm its my John...
  2. M

PTE. John GIBBONS, 11845, 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment.

Help please, John was a Birmingham man born on 6 July, 1891. What I know is in 1911 Census he is shown 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment, at Carisbrooke, Hampshire, Isle of Wight. On his MIC he is in 2nd Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment, going to France on 12 August, 1914, wounded...
  3. M

L/SGT Frank COOPE, 8707, Worcestershire Regiment.

MWS and Janice, Appreciate you still looking. His number suggests enlistment about October, 1904. He would sign up for 7 years with the Colours and 5 in Reserve, as I could not find him on any Military Census. If I could find him on a Military Census then he signed of for a further period. If...
  4. M

Janice, That's what so annoying, I don't like to give up but I try to include only "most likely" data in my file of Worcestershire Regiment soldiers. Just copy data do not generally purchase them. David
  5. M

Janice, If he was called up late he may never have been deployed overseas. The reasons for me rejecting them being the same man, other than what I have already said, is primarily because he was a Lance Sargent when he was demobilised. Whilst I accept some were promoted very young I believe it's...
  6. M

Janice, Next of Kin.
  7. M

MWS, I accept that numbers might be reused and as you have shown also duplicated but I am still confident that Frank enlisted around 1904. Janice, I have looked at Francis Frank and unfortunately could not find any WW1 MIC ( medal card) for him so he may not have served overseas. Also on...
  8. M

Confused I certainly am. But it always makes me feel better when I see you two beat. I've come to recognise that if you two are beat then it's time to stop looking. David
  9. M

Janice, Mother of Frank was, I think, Mary Ann Hayling. I have assumed that Frank and Francis Frank were brothers? David
  10. M

MWS Janice, Duplicate numbers happen, not sure why. It's interesting that 8705 is also duplicated. I'm reasonable confident that he enlisted around late 1904. David
  11. M

MWS, 1904 date is based upon his regimental number and comparing with known enlistments with similar numbers. David
  12. M

MWS, I'm sure you have the right family names. Thomas (F), Mary Ann (M), Frederick (B) and Francis Frank (B) as they all appear in ER's from 1918 to 1930, except for Father who had died. What's annoying is Frank is in and out of the ER's but never seems to appear in any Census. The family name...
  13. M

Having a look at your 1891, 1901 and 1911 census docs. Initial look is confusing.
  14. M

MWS, I'm trying to track Frank. Sorry the 1880's date should be BIRTH. Francis Frank Coope was living at the same address as Frank. This address is correct for Frank because it ties in with the Absent Voters list for him.
  15. M

Another challenge for you super sleuths. Very little known about this Birmingham soldier. What I do know: Enlisted around October, 1904, so enlisted in 1880's and discharged 1919. Wounded in early 1918 with N of K Birmingham. ER for 1918 Absent Voters show him residing at 1 court 6, Essex...
Back