• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by mikeflan

1. mikeflan

Ryland Street and Grosvenor Street West

The Birmingham Guild used to be in Grosvenor Street West...I recall going for a job there 1958.......I somewhere have an A to Z 1960....must try to sort it out...
  2. mikeflan

Birmingham buses

Once upon a time many years back they would drive these old piano front buses into a field in Arley and use them as caravan holiday lets....as I know from a family holiday way back in 1946...somewhere in my archives I still have a photo of the event.......with the bus wheels removed and on...
  3. mikeflan

Snow Hill Station

Yes and from New Street station they had a very new never been seen before diesel multiple unit shipped in from the Eastern Region railway to be transported there....I'd had a day off school and it was official...ha ha....and I had a Kodak Brownie camera that I snapped a photo of the units sadly...
  4. mikeflan

Moor Street Warehouse

No I didn't wait in a long queue..ha ha....I got up at some really ridiculous hour to get there......I can only recall a few in front of me that were waiting........we were all thinking....should we be locked up ??? but then we saw the aftermath of the reported queues and we felt very much...
  5. mikeflan

Moor Street Warehouse

In my memories hidden away I remember Moor Street Warehouse so well.....my mom worked in town as a dressmaker and so did my aunt, my gran would take me to town every Tuesday (market day) and would meet both her daughters after and often we'd go in to Moor Street warehouse.....I always recall...
  6. mikeflan

Snow Hill Station

You just brought back some wonderful Midland red memories there Bob.......super times we are lucky to remember....Happy Days indeed
  7. mikeflan

Gas Street basin

That brings back childhood memories, when I lived at my grans in Selly Oak our #20 bus used to turn around using that building as the terminus, and you'd wait for the bus to come into Suffolk Street bus stop...the street was a cobbled surface...looked very dangerous when wet.
  8. mikeflan

The City of Birmingham - 46235

On a few occasions I've wondered if there were any original photos of this Locomotive being named officially at New Street Station in March 1945 by Alderman Wiggins-Davies ??? one would have thought there might be some tucked away in an library archive of Birmingham Mail perhaps ...
  9. mikeflan

Moor Street Station

Quite a bit of equipment that was for sure...........!!! Thanks for the photos...
  10. mikeflan

Moor Street Station

I wonder Does anyone remember the traverser that was there in the station ???? I wonder how many photos of that exist in someone's collection ??
  11. mikeflan

Steam Locos

Yes you've taken me back as well.......
  12. mikeflan

Steam Locos

Right on there Dave...a Crab for sure......looks so good......happy memories there for me
  13. mikeflan

New Street Station 1967

You're right...it was never shiny,,,,,,lol
  14. mikeflan

New Street Station 1967

Goodness me...that takes me back to the 1950's...that loco used to be on the Selly Oak ..Bournville.KN line so much, really takes me back to those spotting days for sure...so good to see a colour shot of it...many thanks
  15. mikeflan

New Street Station Platform 1a 1950's

That's one great photo.....many thanks
Back