• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by michaelwileman

1. M

Beaufort Cinema Ward End / Washwood Heath

Yes i know the 161 bus stop you mention i worked on The Midland Red for a short tine on the 160/161 routes. I remember the Castle Cinema as well,just up the road from where i was born. I worked at the Beaufort Cimema for quite a few years as well as a Projectionist.
  2. M

Long story but i managed to contact Hazel Goring from the Beaufort Cinema spoke to her on the telephone first time in 50 years it was really so nice to hear her voice after so long,She and her husband Jim were The Beaufort,we talked about George the doorman and all the old staff among lots of...
  3. M

Yes you are quite correct,i got shops mixed up.
  4. M

The shop was Dawsons,Behind the Beaufort was a sandpit and those brick built buildings was where they use to generate their own electricity for the Beaufort,untill it was connected to the main power,these are the generators.
  5. M

Great Pictures,i was second projectionist from 1961 to approx 1971,they bring back happy memories. I remember George the doorman,had curley ginger hair walked with a bad limp,he lived by the ward end pub,i do remember him stopping people under 16 to see X rated films. When i started in 1961 i...
  6. M

Does anyone remember Jim Goring,he was Cheif Projectionist,and became the Manager,also his wife Hazel.
  7. M

Great colour photos,do you have any more of The Beaufort you can post please.
  8. M

CONFESSIONS OF A CINEMA EMPLOYEE

Hi Mike, Thanks for that,i often wondered where the Projectors from The Beaufort went,i knew The Capitol had them,but often wondered where they went from there,at least ive tracked one down,spent many hours on them,i didnt know you had the Amp though. I did read somewhere the Compton Organ...
  9. M

CONFESSIONS OF A CINEMA EMPLOYEE

Hi Chris, I read you article with great interest,i worked at The Beaufort as Projectionist under Jim Goring he was the Cheif when i started in 1961,when The Manager Mr Jackson died Jim became the manager his wife Hazel also worked there,also remember George the Doorman anyone who remembers The...
Back