• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by MichaelG63

1. M

spitfire

When anyone mentions the Spitfire someone with invariably say 'the Hurricane shot down more enemy aircraft'. What they don't mention (or don't know) is that there were only 19 squadrons of Spitfire compared to the Hurricane's 30, so if you adjust the figures to take that into account, the...
  2. M

Famous people with a Birmingham Connection (how many do you know)?

#6 Mona Washbourne - though I think she appeared in the stage production of Blithe Spirit, playing the part of Madame Arcati
  3. M

Famous people with a Birmingham Connection (how many do you know)?

Has anyone mentioned the great actor, Paul Scofield? His birthplace is usually given as Sussex, yet I've read that he was born in Birmingham and he and his family moved down to Sussex very shortly afterwards.
  4. M

Bordesley Park Road

Thanks for replying. Yes, that was probably it as I do recall getting sweets there. I have very dim and distant memories of the proprietor being a bald gentleman, or is it just my memory playing tricks on me? Walking around there now, it's hard to envisage what it used to be like. The...
  5. M

Bordesley Park Road

I was born (in 1963) on the opposite side of Bordesley Park Road, at No.44, and then moved to Yardley in the early 70s. I always remember going to a shop a few doors away, as well as the out door of the Horse & Jockey pub. I also recall another shop that was located somewhere near the Bridge...
Back