• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Michael Ball

1. M

Lionel Street

Thanks for the information about the Pigott-Smith map. I will certainly try to purchase a copy when it becomes available again.
  2. M

Lionel Street

I am specially interested in the older (sepia tinted) map of the Lionel Street / Great Charles Street area. Where is this map segment from (e.g., map title, date, source) and is it possible to get access to the map on the Internet. Thanks, in advance, for any assistance. Michael Ball
  3. M

NewSt Station 2015

I am looking for an "early" map which shows the location of Snow Hill Station in relation to Gt. Charles Street. In the 1865 period there was an on-going dispute between George Dowler and the Great Western Railway. His factory, at 91 Gt. Charles Street, was producing a noxious smoke which...
  4. M

Dowler Brass Works - Gt. Charles Street

Thank you for the image of the 1839 map of Birmingham. If it is possible can I get a "fairly" complete reference for the map (e.g., title, publisher, etc.) so I can include that information if I decide to include the map in any family history that I might publish. Michael Ball
  5. M

Dowler Brass Works - Gt. Charles Street

Thank you for your rapid reply. The Dowler family were working at 90 / 91 Gt. Charles Street from about the 1780 period. They moved their operations to Plume St. in the 1860 period but the factory burnt in April 1870. George Dowler then revamped the operation and started to produce cartridges...
Back