• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by mewla4

1. M

Sparkhill Congregational Church

Hi Dave, you can get a view of the outside from googlearth street view which says it is July 2014 Bryan
  2. M

Sparkhill Congregational Church

thanks for the info on this our family was associated with this from its inception with my grandfather as organist and my father as church secretary.
  3. M

Traditional Songs we sang at school

i was remebering Soldier , Soldier, wont you marry me, with your musket , fife and drum and realising that there was never any discussion on the fact that these were social comments on the times
  4. M

Lewis's Department Store

my memories of lewises is going to the remnents sales with my mom and gran. standing outside the basement doors waiting for them to open and then the mad dash when they did, us four kids going to stand where we had been told, out of the way but where mom knew where we were, and watching mom and...
  5. M

Traditional Songs we sang at school

In the junior school the headmaster always entered assembly to a piece of classical music, and I can remeber singing those somgs at school , great memories , and I can remember the hymn that we used to sing at the end of the school year it started with Lord dismiss us with thy blessing...
  6. M

Electric Milk Floats

What about the electric vans that the co-op laundry at Clay Lane used to use. There was always a large humming when we walked passed at the w/e from woodcock lane across the canal bridge.
  7. M

Lingard street fire station

thanks phil have just had a quick look and think i shall have to get special dispensation from her indoors to sit and follow that thread ( perhaps i should wait till she goes out) am sure that ther would be other info in there somewhere
  8. M

Lingard street fire station

I have just come across letter written by my great uncle to my grandmother from the fire station at lingard street. I knew he was a fireman although he was dead before i knew him, unfortunatly i only have a date of 30th August with no year so would like to try and get some idea of a year as the...
  9. M

Birmingham City Parks Dept.

My brother worked there as well and he had the front end loader which had a concrete block on the back which just had two hooks on it and used to hang on a bar acros the link arms and was forever dropping off at the most awkward moments usually in the middle of the bristol road. Great days
  10. M

Cannon Hill Park

I seem to think that the building half way down the tree lined route was a natural history museum. my childhood memories of cannon hill are of going to see the banana plant on afternoons out with my grandma
  11. M

Birmingham City Parks Dept.

I also worked as a tractor driver for the parks in the mid seventies but from Billesley depot and originally on the allotments ploughing and rotovating, I then moved over to the mowing grass and had both fergies and Fords, and was the first one to use a hydraulic driven mowers. Didnt move...
  12. M

Old Birmingham Repertory Theatre

in the mid seventies the theatre was run by the then amenities and recreations dept of the council ( used to be the Parks dept) and somehow myself and a colleague used to perform the duties of stage fireman when the theatre was being used. It was a really arduous task and involved sitting on the...
  13. M

Bordesley Green Grammar Technical School

thanks bobbygee mind was (is) going a bit but it was Goodfellow
  14. M

Bordesley Green Grammar Technical School

hi folks yep i'm an ex bordsley green tech man 1964 -1969 as was my dad before me. the head master was Brown who was reeplaced by the Deputy head DH Jones.Killers name was surname was Gilbert and he used to wear yellow specs some days as he suffered from migranes The old building are still the...
  15. M

Bring back Kunzle showboats

what a mouth watering reminder, one always tried to lick the inside out before breaking the chocolate shell
Back