• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by maypolebaz

1. M

disgusting food

"Putu" is the sound you make as you spit it out !
  2. M

sayings

"Duck" I remember it was in use when I was a junior Brummie. However Stoke use it a lot.
  3. M

disgusting food

Waitrose sell it !
  4. M

Homeguard

I'm pretty sure there's a photo on this thread showing a group of HG men waiting on a railway platform. They're wearing gaiters, some blancoed, some blackened.
  5. M

sayings

A couple of additions, if I may....... "I've seen more meat on a chicken's lip". "I've seen more meat on a bone handled knife". One I always thought cruel, calling a skinny girl "Sparralegs".
  6. M

disgusting food

My wife grew up on a farm in a little town, which sits on the Cheshire/Staffordshire border, called Alsager. She talks about her uncle who used to eat Pobs. I must say, I'd never heard of them.
  7. M

Storm Dennis

I spent a lot of time in KH around the same time too. I can't believe the place has flooded like that. (Some of those motorists were in danger of drowning their engines !)
  8. M

Storm Dennis

I notice on FB there's a video of the river in Llangollen, looking like it's about to burst its banks. At times like these I'm glad I don't live too close to a river.
  9. M

Birmingham butchers retail.

Remember the smell of the sawdust, wonderful !
  10. M

sayings

My late first wife was from Denbigh and she always said "sailor's warning".
  11. M

Money!!!! - before decimalisation! Info needed please!

When left the army, in '68, I started work on the buses. I got into a hell of a mess with the money, I had been in Germany for three years and was used to metric currency so trying to get back to the medieval LSD was almost impossible.
  12. M

Sayings, legends and customs.

"All round the Wrekin" is used here in South Cheshire too. We apply it to something that is un necessarily long - winded.
  13. M

Sayings, legends and customs.

I remember, if someone told you to do something and you felt inclined to refuse, the standard reply would be, "I would if I could but I can't, so I woont".
  14. M

sayings

I have'nt looked into it but there was a type of bottle, produced in Victorian times, by a firm called Cod. (The torpedo shaped one, with a glass ball in the neck).
  15. M

maypole berkeley precinct

Clearly the place had become an eyesore ! Remarkable to think that the area used to be part of the grounds of the Maypole pub.