• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by maypolebaz

1. M

Royal Warwicks 15th Battalion

I've never seen this badge before but to me it looks like a snake, entwined around the upright of a letter 'B'. I have seen a similar thing, related to the medical profession, which is a snake entwined around a staff and am wondering if this is a trade badge for some sort of medic. Most trade...
  2. M

Vintage clothing and other items you still own

Yes, but due to my receding hair I"ve had to buy a smaller size ! I've still got my 70s army beret too which I dust off for remembrance Day.
  3. M

WW2 bomb money collection box Bull Ring

Yep, that's how I remember the bomb too. My Dad used to take me round the shops on a Saturday and we'd finish up with a dish of cockles. ('andy carrier !).
  4. M

Where was your first holiday?

I wonder if you're thinking of that big transport cafe at Prees Heath, (Shropshire) ? Called "Halfway House", it's at the junction of the A41 and the A49. (I think it's still there). The A41 runs from Brum to Chester, where you pick up the A548, which used to be the coast road.
  5. M

Queens Coronation 1953

I can't remember the races but we sat at the party wearing our coats ! They built a stage on "The Island" and a dance troupe (Betty Barnes ?) did their best to cheer everybody up.
  6. M

Where was your first holiday?

My first holiday was Butlins, Skegness. My brother was a babe - in - arms, so it was late '44, I think. My mother had to go back to Erdington but we had to stay on because Butlins had our ration books. All I can remember of the place was a big white - painted fountain, not working, of course...
  7. M

Queens Coronation 1953

I was there and remember that day well ! I seem to have spent my day sticking my head through our front room window saying "anything happening ?" and all the people inside, watching a rental TV, droning "NOOO"! Remember that great bonfire we had Dave ?
  8. M

Triplex Safety Glass, Kings Norton

I worked there in '68, on the laminated curving furnaces. I remember a fire one night, in the area where the Concorde screens were stored. Word had it that somebody had sneaked in there for a kip and his cig had set light to some packaging.
  9. M

Brittle family of Kings Heath

That's Brian ! I'd forgotten he lived in Cotford Rd, (I lived round the corner, in Sladepool Farm Rd.).
  10. M

Brittle family of Kings Heath

I knew a Brian Brittle, back in the 50s. He was a couple of years older than me and went to Grendon Rd school at one time, that would suggest that he lived in the Warstock area.
  11. M

Maypole Memories

Cotford Rd mate, not Cotfold.
  12. M

Ritz Dance Hall Kings Heath.

I share the guilt on this one. Sorry about that.
  13. M

Bus Tokens

How strange ! I went to Wheelers Lane School, (mid-50s), and we used KH baths.
  14. M

Yes, most of my young and teenage days. As well as playing there we used to cut across across to "The Prince" and over The Stiles, over Berry Mound, the sandpits and down to the aqueduct. We were very lucky in those days, living where we did, loads of fields to run around in. When I was a kid...
  15. M

Close ! I grew up in Sladepool Farm Rd, the Highters Heath end. From my bedroom window I could look up Aldbury Rd.
Back