• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by maypolebaz

1. M

aberdeen street winson green

I had relatives in Norman St, years ago. I had a look in the 70s and found that most of the houses had gone. So what, and where is The Centre of the Earth ?
  2. M

Cork Tip Cigarettes

In the mid - 60s Battlegroup Training used to be carried out in the Libyan desert, (imagine that !). One day we were looking around Bir Hackeim, an old fort that the Free French held out against the Afrika Korps. Kicking one of the rusty biscuit tins, lining a trench, caused the filling to pour...
  3. M

Telephone scams 2020

I've got to the point now where, if I answer the phone and the caller asks, "how are you today ?", I just hang up.
  4. M

Moseley Letter Box

They're going to win aren't they ?
  5. M

VE Day on Arlington Road, Yardley wood

That must be Highters Heath School in the background.
  6. M

Shoes

In the "Old Army", (Boer War, WW1), to break in new boots, men were advised to do a wee wee in said boots and leave them overnight. In my experience, wearing boots in the Troop showers was far too risky, so we used to walk through wet grass for half an hour or so, until they were soaked, then...
  7. M

Kings Heath.. 192/69 Anti Aircraft Brigade

I never got around to looking for the gun site my dad was on, in Crabmill Lane. What you describe, Karl, sounds like an air raid shelter and could well have been part of the gun site, I can't think of any other reason for one to be out in the middle of nowhere.
  8. M

The Birmingham Pals in the Great War

What number in Norman St did your Great Uncle live ? My grandparents were of that era and lived in Norman St.
  9. M

Uniform c1915

Having had a closer look, I think like MWS, the man's uniform differs from the British Service Dress. I'm inclined to think it's Australian too. Looking at the soldier at the back, I don't think he's wearing an Artillery cap badge, it could even be Warwickshire Regiment. Just to make things even...
  10. M

Uniform c1915

The soldier on the left is wearing a slouch hat that troops wore in the Boer War.
  11. M

Yardley Wood

I can't remember the first name of the Tyler kid that I knew but it could've been Robert. Funnily enough I could look straight up Aldbury Rd from my bedroom but the only person I knew, that lived there, was a girl called Maureen Jennings.
  12. M

Vulcan Bomber Fly-past

In the mid - 60s my battery were on Salisbury Plain, firing a high angle shoot, when they were ordered to pause. Shortly afterwards a Vulcan flew over, very low, followed closely by a Meteor. We were told later that they were testing a radar system.
  13. M

CLOTHES AND SHOES OF YESTERYEAR

I am strangely aroused....!
  14. M

National Service

Cheers Bob. I must point out, though, that I was in the Gunners and The Queen's Own Hussars, never the Guards !
  15. M

National Service

Those cases were issued in the early sixties, we got them about the same time as we got No 2 Dress and a raincoat (Macs, Flashing).