• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Maureen Cooper

1. M

Marston Green & Tile Cross

nice to see you on here, Maggie. Hope all is well with you.
  2. M

Sheesbys, and shops in Tile Cross Road

Sorry I missed this post. I’m Jenny’s sister.
  3. M

Byng Kenrick Girls' Grammar School

Please post pics of those! I’d love to see them!
  4. M

Jenny Cooper is my youngest sister.
  5. M

Yes, they are! Thanks for posting.
  6. M

Yes, weren't we lucky to have access to that bluebell wood--it's a freedom that not many children have now. We'd come home with armsful of bluebells but weren't allowed to put them in the house because they, like lilacs, were considered unlucky. Does your wife remember the Bakers (I think the...
  7. M

Hi Maggie: Yes, Jenny is my youngest sister and it was my boyfriend (later husband) who had the bubble car! I'd like to send you a private message but can't see a way to do it from this page. I'll try to do it from your user name. Nice to hear from you!
  8. M

Marston Green & Tile Cross

Hi Everyone: I didn't know this was called "bauldies mansion" --I knew it as Sheldon Hall and passed it every day on my way to school at Byng Kenrick. I loved the look of it so I used to stop my bike at the gate and stand there. One day a man who was working in the grounds (he was bald); he...
  9. M

Yes, thanks so much! Very kind of Viv to take the trouble.
  10. M

Birmingham Council House Waiting List

I think my parents waited about six years (assuming they applied immediately after Dad came back from the war). We got a two-bedroomed house in Tile Cross in 1952. Before that we lived in a 3-bed council house in Yardley Wood with my grandparents, my great-grandfather and my uncle. It was...
  11. M

Sorry, I was a first year in 1958 and don't remember her. My sister, Shirley Cooper, who was four years behind me at BK died at age 56. So sad.
  12. M

I'm sure many people would be grateful to have a copy of it. I left in 1963, so the one I'm looking for must have been the year or two before that. If it's not too much trouble for you, you could have it scanned at Jessops and then upload it to the forum. Thanks for replying!
  13. M

I was a first-year in 1958 when the school opened. I agree with what you say about Miss Birch and Miss Boone. Miss Birch could be terrifying but she was a great teacher. I know that from only one class in which she substituted for my English teacher, Miss Phillips (who was another great...
  14. M

We lived at 90 Shirestone Road--the end house just over the road from the Tile Cross Road Shops. The greengrocer was a Mr. Hooper and his son's name, Clive. We were very excited when Mr. Carey said he was having a sale--which he did--but the sweets were stale and my mother made me take them...
Back