• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by maryt

1. M

Spaghetti Junction

Two years ago, on a trip from Yorkshire to the Cotswolds, my 5 year old granddaughter was driven on Spaghetti Junction for the first time. She loved it! I told her how I knew it as a crossroads which we used on our way on the Sunday School Outing to Drayton Manor Park. A few weeks ago she...
  2. M

Britt family

Sara, I so sympathise with you about relatives who disappear. If and when I get to heaven and meet them, there are going to be strong words with mine!!! But, and you probably know this, keep on looking. One day, he will turn up. Best wishes
  3. M

Britt family

Thank you both for reminding me about Bill, and providing the information above. From what I heard about him, he definitely was NOT the Irish one, and I can't think that my Auntie Kit would marry someone colourful! I hadn't yet searched the 1939 Register for him, so thank you very much.
  4. M

Where did you live

1953 Born Shirley Road, Cotteridge 1974 Moved to Leeds, Yorkshire, married 1975 1977 Moved to Otley, Yorkshire, been here ever since. Still a Villa fan though!
  5. M

Pineapple tarts

For some reason I have come back to the Forum tonight for a peek and now find my mouth watering. Being up in Yorkshire with no family left in Birmingham there is no reason for me to return. Nearer than USA! However, I am now armed with knowledge and on the trail.
  6. M

Royal Warwickshire 1/8 Battalion

Colin, Thank you for that information. I've contacted the regiment from their website, but any information about their activities in the possible six weeks he was in Normandy would be great.
  7. M

Royal Warwickshire 1/8 Battalion

I have also been looking for information on this regiment as my Dad's cousin fought with them in WW2, and was killed in Normandy in July 1944. I should have done this research a few weeks ago as we were over there last weekend, but can anyone help me with information about what exactly Alfred...
  8. M

Bayliss's Metal Works

Yes, he lived in Selly Oak so could have easily travelled to town or to quite a few suburbs. I'll keep on looking into this, thank you.
  9. M

Bayliss's Metal Works

I am looking again at my Smith side of the family and have seen on the 1911 census that my Great-grandfather was a general labourer at Bayliss's, and that his employer was a Metal Works. The family lived in Bournbrook and I am assuming he didn't travel far to work - but I could be wrong! Can...
  10. M

Smith Lois

Thank you all. SisterSue61, it was 1952, would B44 have existed then? Ladylinda, The writing on the certificate is beautiful cursive writing, but not always easy to read. Could it be Marsham Road, it is up the Maypole end of Kings Heath. (Doing this from memory, too lazy to go and get my...
  11. M

Smith Lois

I had some success with the Smith side of my family a few years ago, and found quite a lot about them. But now I have come to a stop with Lois. She was the informant on my great-grandad's death certificate in 1952 and was his grandaughter, living at Markham Road, B'ham 14. However, I had...
  12. M

Doctors

Hi, I'm moving out to Cotteridge with my Doctor memory. We went to Dr. McCulloch on Middleton Hall Road. He had been with the Royal Army Medical Corps during WW2, but had always been my Mom's and my grandparents' doctor. He didn't suffer fools gladly but was a caring family doctor. However...
  13. M

Near Fordhouse lane 1952

Yes, remember this well, especially as I often jumped off the 41 bus here because my eyesight was not so good and I should have got the 11 bus to school, andd that went down Fordhouse Lane! Mike, do you have a sister Carol? We. the Harrises, lived in Shirley Road.
  14. M

Phrase meaning: Back of Rackhams

My recollection of what "Back of Rackhams" meant - I found out by offering to meet some friends at the back of Rackhams back in the 70's - of course I meant by the Cathedral!
  15. M

Pineapple tarts

Oh yes, Baines rings a bell, and so does Lewis's. I can't remember the name of the shop where Greggs in Cotteridge is now, but it may have been a Baines. Perhaps if they will still make them they will send some up to my local branch? Or shall I come back every month or so?
Back