• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by martinlucas

1. M

Comptometer operator

In 1820, twenty-four-year-old Thomas de Colmar, a French-born mathematician, invented the world’s first commercial calculating machine called the "Comptometer", which was much faster than other mechanical calculators in use at that time. The comptometer was a large machine with a complex system...
  2. M

Help please - Rachel Box (Cook) b 1861, d ?

Rachel Box (Cook) was the granddaughter of Thomas Box and Rachel Lea. She was born in 1858 in San Francisco, California. She married Henry Cook in 1883 at Mariposa, California. She died in 1938 in Citrus Heights, California. Rachel was my great-great-grandmother.
  3. M

Metro Progress 2022

I'm a private citizen who witnessed the Metro's success over the past decade. I want to share that great story with the world, one of the best ways to do that is through a series of short videos. I would like to interview an expert in the field of urban planning and transportation, similar to...
Back