• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Mark Todd

1. M

Congreve Street 1880s and 1890s

The book is now out - we couldn't find a suitable location photo so in the end the cover used photos of the people rather than the place. https://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Was-Young-Memoir-Wimbush/dp/1912419645
  2. M

Wimbush Factory Little Green Lane.

Those interested in Birmingham history may like the publication recently out, available on Amazon, 'When I Was Young' by Norman Wimbush. Norman wrote it in the 1940s but it describes his childhood in Birmingham from birth in 1880 until about 1905. His parents ran a small café in central...
  3. M

Nettlefolds Limited

Norman Wimbush worked as a clerk at Nettlefolds for six years in the 1890s. He wrote a memoir including a chapter describing his time there. It will be published soon. If anyone would like more details of what he wrote about Nettlefolds let me know.
  4. M

Thank you very much - this is extremely helpful. The picture could be suitable though it doesn't go up to 22 and a half. There may have been a confectioners on the site in 1870, though the family didn't move there from Bell Barn Road until about 1889, and going by the memoir it was never...
  5. M

Does anyone have a photo of Congreve Street from the 1880s or 1890s? We are planning publication of a memoir and the writer was a boy living at No 22 and a half Congreve Street during these years. According to the memoir the building, a confectioners and small cafe run by the boy's parents, was...
Back