• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Mark Hayman

1. M

King Edwards Grammar School Camp Hill

There are lots of references to inter-house fives in 1950s editions of the School Chronicle. Wonderful to be able to read all the school magazines online in digitized format, going all the way back to 1885
  2. M

Fives was played competitively between teams representing the four houses
  3. M

Mapledene Junior & Infants School

At the junior school, the names I recall are: Mr Bates, Mr Wimpory, Mr Cullen, Mrs Best, Mr Roberts, Mr Barnes, Miss Williams. At the infants’ school: Mrs Cornforth, Mrs Cadman
  4. M

His university education was interrupted by war service. After demobilisation in 1946, he completed his M.A. and teacher training. His first teaching post was as classics master at Raynes Park School. In 1955 he was appointed as headmaster at Rastrick Grammar School in Yorkshire, and then in...
  5. M

Mr Cholmondeley was not a tail-gunner, but a distinguished pilot during the war, awarded the Air Force Cross for his service. Immediately after the war he continued in the RAF as a trainer in India.
  6. M

John Cleak died in March of this year, at the age of 92. He was a brilliant teacher of English literature, particularly at A-level.
  7. M

Garretts Green College

I can add/confirm the first names of some of the teaching staff: Bernard Grainger (nicknamed Bunny); Bert Prew; Vic Cheek
  8. M

Garretts Green College

What a nice thing to hear about my father. That was just like him. He was the best person anyone could wish to meet, and would have been pleased to know that you went on to such a successful career. My father enjoyed thirty years of retirement.
  9. M

Hello Robert. The athletics team comprised boys from all four years of the school. I was in class 4/1 at that point and was more familiar with the older boys in the photo. Here are the names I know. If we start on the back row, far left: me, next to me is Peter Capp, 4th from left is Anthony...
  10. M

Here is another, taken in academic year 1963-4, with Mr Thompson having succeeded Mr Barlow as headmaster.
  11. M

Garretts Green College

I will post another staff photo. It is somewhat later than the other. You will see Brian Burton on this one. He had been a star student of my father. I see him around, as he lives near us.
  12. M

Garretts Green College

You are correct about Joe Boaler. My father is next to him (2nd from right). You are also right about Ted Whittaker. Charlie Goodman is on the back row, 7th from the right. On Charlie's left is Staff Leighton, and on his left is Bernard Grainger.
  13. M

Garretts Green College

Here is a photo of the college staff long ago. Amongst the faces I recognise are Joe Boaler, Charlie Goodman, Eric Skan, Staff Leighton and Ted Whittaker
  14. M

If you find the boy second from the left on the back row, I am standing in front of him, next to Rod Barr who is wearing a cap.
Back