• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Marc

1. Marc

Sparrow Green Grocers Hockley

Strange, I also have a cousin called Richard Holyoak, and I sometimes work in Somerville Road, Sutton Coldfield.
  2. Marc

I would have loved to have spoken with some distant relatives for medical reasons, regarding any hereditary conditions. How old was your uncle Richard back then, when you worked at the store?
  3. Marc

Wow, apparently my grandmother is alleged to have had a relationship with a Greengrocer called Mr Sparrow many years ago, and as a result, my mother was born. It's a very long winded story, but back in the day, my family lived in Burlington Street and my mother's gran used to own a coal yard...
  4. Marc

Lost Relative - Former Consultant - Help to Locate U/K House in Great Barr

Hi Roberta, I see your reasoning but sadly due to an unfortunate event, the Mother cut off all contact with the Father and refused all forms of support. She also refused to provide any and all details about the subjects Father. It is only now, after the Mothers passing, that other family members...
  5. Marc

Thanks Smudger, every lead is a possibility, I'll start digging along Gravelly lane.
  6. Marc

Hi Wam, apologies, it was my mistake. He is believed to have been born around 1923 and I have now corrected the error in the OP. I only have the first name of Michael, which as you say could well have been Anlgicised. I have searched ancestry but no joy whatsoever. I have located an address...
  7. Marc

Thanks Lyn, your support is appreciated as always and I hope I find you well.
  8. Marc

Thanks Nick, I totally got the year of birth wrong. :)
  9. Marc

Hello fellow B.H.F members, it's been a while, but I could really do with some help here. I'm trying to trace a lady's late Father, the identity of whom was not known until recently. (i.e no name of Father on birth certificate). I have scant information to go on, other than the following: The...
  10. Marc

Hare and Hounds, Kingstanding

I used to find the majority of the pipe pieces around the edges of the bowling green but there were others scattered all around the large gardens. I'm talking about hundreds of different pipe bowls and stems, with some of the bowls being quite ornate and some shaped like faces. I never found a...
  11. Marc

Edit ...Sorry Viv, you said 1974 which is about right. I was a mere 9 years of age haha
  12. Marc

So there is a Los Angeles link. I'm sure the man I spoke to had links or even worked for the department at some stage. We may never know, but amazing to recall that night. Were you there with them Viv when they came into to the pub? I know my Mother Joanne was most excited to welcome them over...
  13. Marc

Hey Viv, we had to use Radio Rentals to hire our first enormous Colour Tv inside a huge wooden sliding door piece of furniture with a long cable on the remote control hehe. Atlantic Road to me at that time was where the posh people lived Viv. I used to have a schoolmate who lived there, she...
  14. Marc

For anyone interested and for future posterity, here a layout guide to when I lived at the pub. I also remember that the Bungalow next door always had a beautiful back garden, unlike ours which was huge and difficult to maintain especially as we didn't even have a law mower. I do recall...
  15. Marc

Does anyone remember a girl called Paula who also had a younger sister who lived in the houses backing onto the rear of the pub and the bowling green? I can't remember if she went to Kingsthorne or not. She would be 50 something now.
Back