• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by mallyb2

1. M

Tyseley Locomotive Works

The leading locomotive in the trio appears to be a GWR 4-6-0 'Castle' class. Incidentally,they are not trains,they are locomotives, the trains are the coaches or carriages they pull,
  2. M

Strange toys

Hi Chris, Scout Scarab, odd looking item !
  3. M

Strange toys

Hi Chris, I don't know if this is the model you are thinking of, but Victory Industries produced a couple of model cars that were controlled by a long wire connected to the vehicle. Quite probably they were not the first to produce one, but I always lusted over a 'Victory' model...
  4. M

Strange toys

Hello Chris I remember a similar looking car, which also had a transverse wheel on the underside of the vehicle, but this one rotated continuously. The wheel was clear of the surface the car ran on, until the front wheels of the car became clear of the surface. The idea was to...
  5. M

Strange toys

Does anybody remember the odd-looking bird that would continually dip its beak into a glass of water, I seem to recall it was called something like a 'dipping duck' ?.............................Mal
  6. M

Strange toys

I remember seeing them demonstrated in Lewis's in the mid '50's, couldn't afford to buy one with my pocket money, they always fascinated me ................Mal
  7. M

Handsworth Grammar School 1950--1960

This thread has brought back some memories, because I went to Handsworth Grammar School from 1954 until, I think, 1959. I must be on the school photograph, I remember the photo taking place, and having a copy to take home ( did we have to pay for the copy to take home, I seem to recall we did )...
  8. M

The Austin's aero industry in the 1940's

That appears to be the fuselage of a Fairey Battle , as Big Gee says above, a very inferior fighter / bomber of the early war years.................................Mal
  9. M

Toy/Model Shops City Centre

I think the model shop in Burlington Arcade was called 'Kamco Models', or something very similar. I seem to recall being told it was staffed by some relative of Colonel Bowden, a very well-known modeller of the pre-war years. .......................... Mal
  10. M

Toy/Model Shops City Centre

If I remember correctly, Hornton's had a model railway layout in their window that operated when a hand was placed on a sensor on the window. That was during the late '50's. I'm not sure how long this system was in operation..............................Mal
  11. M

Is This Your Motor?

That's not a Ford V8 Pilot,I know because I've got one! It looks more like a late 1930's Chevrolet,looking at the radiator grille,split windscreen, and the shape of the headlights...…...........Mal
  12. M

Is This Your Motor?

Yes, you're quite correct. Thinking about it I've a feeling the that van,which is a derivative of the Standard 8/10,was known as a Standard Companion, or am I confusing this with the later van,based on the Triumph Herald ?......Mal
  13. M

Is This Your Motor?

Vauxhall 'L' series, either a 4 cylinder 'Wyvern', or a 6 cylinder 'Velox', both built post-war, round about 1948..........…......Mal
  14. M

Is This Your Motor?

Lovely motor Nigel, whitewalls an' all......……..friend of mine has still got his Mk 1 Zephyr Six, still uses it on occasion. Bet you wish you still had yours, or have you still got it ?............................Mal
  15. M

Is This Your Motor?

Standard Atlas van, and looks like a Singer 1500 behind it …………….both from about mid '50's.......................Mal
Back