• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Malcog

1. Malcog

Edgar Vaughan & Co, Birmingham 4

They were in Legge St. Aston opposite Midland Counties Dairy. They had a factory in Trafford Park, Manchester, where the cutting oils and fluids were made from oils delivered by boat along the Manchester Ship Canal. They became Houghton Vaughn in the 1980s when they merged with Houghtons from...
  2. Malcog

Yenton Junior School

I went to Yenton Junior from 1963 to 1967, they were my happiest school days. Final year in 4.1 with Mr Harbach.
  3. Malcog

Marsh Hill Boys Grammar Tech School

I would'nt cross Crippen ! To give him his due he taught us A level students well in the sixth form, I have to appreciate that these teachers gave me a sound education that eventually ended in a science Honours degree.
  4. Malcog

Guided buses Tracline 65

Yes, the trees are back
  5. Malcog

Erdington old buildings

The shop on Gravelly Lane with the tower above used to be Tower Cycles. Run by Alan Richards (and his mum) it was a great shop, selling lightweight bike components to racing folks, and bikes and hardware, and, strangely enough, paraffin ! (Esso Blue)
  6. Malcog

Lucas research, Shirley

I worked at a company taken over by TRW in 1998, we eventually ended up at the back of an office by Dog Kennel Lane on the old Lucas Shirley site. We were sold off by TRW/Grumman in 2003. I drove past last week, and most of the buildings at the Shirley site are being demolished, there are...
  7. Malcog

Pype Hayes Park

We used to live in a prefab next to Pype Hayes park, what a great time I had playing with my friends and exploring the park. Its hard to believe now but at 5 years old we would wander all round the park and the only worry was getting home late or with wet feet when I would get a telling off !
  8. Malcog

Bob Wilson’s Fun Fair

I think it was Bob Wilsons funfair that used to come to Pype Hayes park when we lived in the prefab. It was great because I could watch all the rides being built from the back garden.
  9. Malcog

Tyburn House Entertainment

Used to go to the Tyburn in the early 70s, especially Friday nights when there was a reggae disco on.
  10. Malcog

Hare and Hounds, Kingstanding

My friend used to live by the bus stop (number 357 I think) just up the road and we often had a couple op pints in the Hare & Hounds in the 70s. He used to call it the spew and bucket, but then it seemed a decent pub.
  11. Malcog

Guided buses Tracline 65

The central reservation along Streetly Road had lovely trees that were all cut down to put that stupid tracline in.
  12. Malcog

Kalamazoo

I met my wife in the 72 building in 1976, I worked at Kalamazoo until 1986, happy days.
  13. Malcog

As I remember there was grass between the Boys & Girls schools. I looked at the area on google earth and the Boys school has gone and a new school built
  14. Malcog

I was there from 1967 to 1974. Lots of detentions ! How are you Steve ? I remeber Yampy Yates and the time we connected bunsen burners to the taps in the physics lab.