• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by maggie may

1. maggie may

Cottage Homes Coleshill 1901

Hi! Tresario I think you'll find that the cottage homes that you are looking for are the Marston Green ones. A good site for information is: www.workhouses.org aso there are some pictures of them on www.mcmullin.plus.com
  2. maggie may

Car registration numbers

Just to lower the tone a number plate of my fathers used to amuse me. It was PWC 916 D (cortina estate)
  3. maggie may

WWII Barrage Balloon Sites

Hi! Phil, Spoke to Mum this morning. With regard to the escaped balloon all that she can remember is that it occurred during the major bombing of the area and that it would be prior to December 7th 1942 which is when Mum enlisted in the army. Apparently I even have a picture of the tree that...
  4. maggie may

Hi! Phil, Just sent a text to Mum so I'll let you know when she gets back to me about the break away balloon. Mum is 86 now but still very 'with it' her memory of the local area during the war years amazes me.
  5. maggie may

Hi! Phil, Just been talking to mum about this as I can remember standing in the back garden watching men jump from baskets beloew the balloons.Tthis would have been in the early 1950s and living in Walmley.These ballons would have been at Castle Bromwich. Mum tells me that there was a a...
  6. maggie may

calling all ex rollers rinkers!!!!!

Old codgers indeed!!!!!! There was a chap of 72 on the news a few days ago causing a nuisance skating round a town centre-Blackpool I think. The police keep moving him on
  7. maggie may

calling all ex rollers rinkers!!!!!

Hi! I might spend most of the time on my backside but i'll certainly be joining in
  8. maggie may

Grandpa Jack

Thank you. This is where Mum is confused.Grandpa was well known as a local sportsman both in cricket and football. After finding the photo of the football team and realising that they were called Aston Manor FC I did wonder where Mum had got the name Aston Unity from-you have solved a puzzle
  9. maggie may

Grandpa Jack

UPDATE We have now found a photograph of this team-possibly a copy of one that appeared in a newspaper. The team was called ASTON MANOR FC winners of the Evelyn Cecil Shield 1911-12.The names on the back of the photo are; Burnett (committee)-Bert Barratt-Jim Morris-Wright (quarry bank sec.)-J...
  10. maggie may

Dartmouth Street

Mystery solved. Been down to Birmingham today and have a copy of the coroners report. 108 Dartmouth Street was a pub called the Malt Shovel. Poor Edward he had been abstemious for four years due to gout and then goes and dies in a public house after drinking milk and soda (yuk!) To add insult to...
  11. maggie may

Villa Street Lozells

Hi! Lyn, I'm stunned too. Think we have some serious catching up to do. Sorry about brief messages but I'm trying to feed cats,pack a bag and mail you all at the same time
  12. maggie may

Villa Street Lozells

Hi! Lyn, You're right tis me. Is there a way to send a personal message on this forum ? If there is I'll send contact details. I'll be leaving home in about half an hour-meeting a friend in Leeds then going down to Brum to spend the day in the library. Back home tomorrow night
  13. maggie may

Villa Street Lozells

Hi! Linda, This is Mary Please get in touch. I am a friend of Carols'-we found each other again a couple of years ago after a gap of over 20 years.
  14. maggie may

Dartmouth Street

Thank you but much as I like the theory of him dying delivering beer the Ladywood Edward isn't the same one. Very confusing we have two Edwards born about the same time one in Eckington,Worcestershire and one in Aston. My Edward is the Aston one. I shall be down in Birmingham on Friday and have...
  15. maggie may

Dartmouth Street

Please can anybody tell me what was at 108 Dartmouth Street in 1905. Any help solving this puzzle would be appreciated. I have a death certificate for a chap (Edward Moore age 48) that died in May 1905. His address was given as 108 Dartmouth Street, Duddeston. Cause of death apoplexy natural...
Back