• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by macqueen

1. M

Hen And Chickens Hotel New Street

Joseph Hill refers to the Hen & Chickens in his (1907) 'The Old Bookmakers of Birmingham'. He says that when Johnson visited in 1735, the Hen & Chickens was kept by a J. Attwood. He describes it as an old hostelry with a good yard and that it faced the Beast Market. (p.43). It had been renamed...
  2. M

Wright's Rope Works

Hi. did you make any progress on finding out the ownership of Wright in the 1770's? I am interested too. Bradford's 1751 map of Birmingham shows a Rope Walk down by the River Rea. By 1778 (Hanson's map), this appears to have become Milk Street. So I am thinking that given the size of the Rope...
  3. M

Kettle family who married into Twist family, both of Birmingham

Hi I am not sure how to do a private reply - however, I am doing research on the carriage of goods to/from the area before the canals were built, and Kettle was the biggest customer for iron from the Baltic. His supplier being a merchant in Bristol. I am trying to establish whether Kettle was a...
  4. M

Kettle family who married into Twist family, both of Birmingham

Hi, I am looking for information about John Kettle, who owned the steel houses in the early 1700s. I am finding history on this person to be elusive, so any data you have would be most welcome! Dawn (Macqueen)
  5. M

The Crescent Ladywood

Hi I had a look at the BCN (Birmingham Canal Navigation) website, and there is an interesting note for 1812 which might well add to an explanation. It would be logical for a charge to be levied if boats needed to go through a tunnel......Gibsons Basins have, I believe, long since gone...
  6. M

the beehive pub soho hill

It really is very sad to see those images of The Beehive. My dad was the publican there in the early 60's. It was the only Birmingham pub we had which had a garden. It is a great pity to see it in that state. Wouldnt it be nice to see it restored!!
  7. M

Hospital Street

Hi that is my great grandma - Flora Wright! Not sure which of her five daughters is with her. Can I ask where the photo came from??? I havent seen it before. It is wonderful!!!!
  8. M

St George's Church Newtown

Hi Bill I spoke with Mum again about the church bells. She says that when her Aunt Flo organised the wedding early in October 1945, she asked for the bells and was told that could not be provided due to the rules of church bell ringing. Flo said, quite rightly that the war was now over and so...
  9. M

St George's Church Newtown

Hi Don this is interesting and has raised a few questions which others might know the answers to![ My great uncle, Frank Wright, came from a family living in Hospital Street when Frank was born and then Buckingham Street when war broke out. I think they are both in St. George's parish. But...
  10. M

Guy Fawkes Night.....Memories

This thread reminded me of the bonfires and fun we used to have in the back to backs around the city. My parents were publicans - and on 5th November each year, the piano would be wheeled out of the pub bar to form the base of a bonfire in the yard next door. All sorts of bits of wood were added...
  11. M

Hospital Street

Hi Mike I was really fascinated to see other people taking an interest in some of the family past and raising some questions which the family would not have done!! And there is no need to apologise - I still do not know who Joseph Jackson actually was - but am having a go at finding out! Flora...
  12. M

Hospital Street

Re: Hospital Street (scandal) Hi I should have added the context to my note on 'scandal' - which had been posted 24th August (tag 180) Re: hospital street Lyn lay have found a little scandal. I looked at the 1921 directory for a coffee rooms in hospital st, but the only ones listed were Mary...
  13. M

Hospital Street

Hi I had to chuckle when I read this 'scandal' as it justs shows how history is often 'bunkem'! My GGGranpda was Henry Wright, Hairdresser - he lived and worked at 102, then 72 Hospital Street for over 40 yrs; his son (my GGrandpa), William Henry, married Flora Emma Lydiatt. William was a...
  14. M

Toye

Hi Malcolm this is really quite fascinating. I noted a reference in the thread is made to Thornhill. Thornhill was owned by a chap called John Scale until 1793. He was apparently a book keeper turned button maker, who became a partner to Matthew Boulton (as Boulton and Scale) when Fothergill...
  15. M

The Crescent Ladywood

Hi does anyone know anything about the Wharf in the late 18th century - before the beautiful new houses started to go up? I am trying to pick up some info on the Sherratt's and their Fly Waggons which left from Sherratt's Wharf, Crescent - around 1793. I have found lots of Shaerratts in...
Back