• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Macca

1. M

The Maggoty Brook and Hartopp Road, Saltley.

Hi Sheila, I read somewhere that Bucklands End Lane Hodge Hill was previously known as Maggoty Lane. It's certainly within walking distance of Hartopp Road.
  2. M

Saltley & Alum Rock

I had this postcard, it's workers leaving the Saltley Carriage works. I think it might have been taken from the upstairs of Swinglers newsagents
  3. M

Saltley & Alum Rock

Hello all, I'm looking for a photo of the junction of Washwood Heath Road & Leigh Road before the petrol station was there, so before 1970 ish? Thanks in anticipation!! Macca
  4. M

Ward End Park

That's good news MWS, my heart sank when I thought they were filling it in. Macca
  5. M

Ward End Park

I drove down Washwood Heath Road past Ward End Park recently & it looks like they're filling the boating lake in! Anybody know whats happening? Macca
  6. M

Alum Rock Road Shops

Hi Castalla, The website is www.midlandshistoricaldata.org Macca
  7. M

Alum Rock Road Shops

Hi Castalla, I had a look at the online electoral roll (Midlands Historical Data), from 1947-1965 Timothy P Flynn and Florence B Flynn were living at 509 Alum Rock Road. The online electoral roll is currently only available up until 1965. There is a marriage record for Timothy P Flynn to...
  8. M

Alum Rock Road Shops

Hi Castalla, Your uncles house is still standing, there are three terraced houses and a small row of shops on A/Rock Rd just before you reach Rockville Road, I believe his was the first house. It was just up from the Brookhill on he opposite side of the road. Macca
  9. M

The brookhill , alum rock

Hi Castalla, Tim was a friend of my friends dad, they drank together in the Brookhill, I can't remember much about him but I think he was widowed. He was a quiet but very pleasant man.
  10. M

The brookhill , alum rock

Hi Castalla, I'm sure I remember your uncle Tim, did he live on Alum Rock Rd opposite the Brookhill, first housenext to the shops? He was a lovely gentleman. Did he pass away in the early 90's?
  11. M

Old Birmingham Schools - Changed Or Demolished

what year did Leigh Road Secondary School close? I know St Joseph RC Primary took over the building in 1963, then The Rosary Scondary in 1970/71. Thanks in advance :) Macca Edit. Link to Leigh Road School thread is here...
  12. M

Leigh Road School Washwood Heath

Hi Can anyone tell me what year Leigh Road Secondary School closed? I know St Joseph RC Primary took over the building in 1963, then The Rosary Scondary in 1970/71. Thanks in advance :) Macca
  13. M

Church Lane, Aston

Hi Mike, Would you be so kind as to point out on the second map no. 10 Church road please? Macca
  14. M

Foster Ada

How sad, I hope they find a relative. Macca
  15. M

Saltley & Alum Rock

Hi Norton Hall, From what era are the photo's in Toni Butlers book, I'm guessing they are fairly recent? Macca
Back