• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by lurchphoic

1. lurchphoic

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

Hi G. I have some pics of the live stock entrance of the market but they're not bril. I'd be happy though if I could get some pics of the Bulls heads to go with them. Someone has to have these.
  2. lurchphoic

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

Hi All. has anyone got pics/info regarding the bulls heads above the doors on the meat market wall. Ta PhilC
  3. lurchphoic

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

Hi All (and by that statement I am not making any suggestion of mass drug abuse). I know some are following this thread since Phil started on 27/04/2011. I thought I would give you a basic update on my story. With the help from many, I have put a book together for my brother in-law Tommy Smith...
  4. lurchphoic

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

There’s a lot to be said for the Brummie sense of humour :) PhilC
  5. lurchphoic

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

Thanks Lyn. "G" is not on line at the moment, he's knocking on a bit and may be taking a nap :)
  6. lurchphoic

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

What would we do without you Lyn. Thanks.
  7. lurchphoic

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

Hello Lyn. Please advise regarding the following. I attempted a private conversation with greart yesterday and received the following message. You may not start a conversation with the following recipients: greart. Probably my fault but I’m into so many things at the moment I can’t see the wood...
  8. lurchphoic

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

Looking forward to it G.
  9. lurchphoic

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

Hi G. Fantastic story. Makes us who we are and gives us the memories. PhilC.
  10. lurchphoic

Cockshut Hill School

I was at Cockshut Hill School 1963-1967 and could have wrote the above word for word. Happy days. I'm not too clever with History due to the fact that we had Mr Williams (wilf) (Gold finger) for that period and he was always sending me down to jobs news agents for fags.
  11. lurchphoic

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

Hi G. Did your Dad ever tell you about George Turlan. George was a big lad 25-30 stone, he worked in bay 1. One day at the end of shift, all the lads went upstairs for a shower, as always george was last up there. All the other lads had showered and dresses and all went home/pub. Unfortunately...
  12. lurchphoic

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

Hi G. That’s great regarding the phone if you are okay with it. If you can give the number out tomorrow, I will ring you as soon as pos. I have just spoken to Tommy regarding his and Reggie’s work mates and you have jogged his memory. Tommy remembers the names that you wrote. Albert Checkleys...
  13. lurchphoic

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

Hi G. You are a star. I think tomorrow I will create a new email address and post it on here. If you e-mail me, only identifying the exact time you send it to me. Then post me on here that you have sent it and the time you wrote on the e-mail. I will then get back to you from my e-mail address...
  14. lurchphoic

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

Hello G. Please let me know of any costs regarding your father’s FMC saw. I can assure you that it will be appreciated and to a good home. I have had a look at the YouTube advert of FMC and downloaded it. I will make a DVD of it for Tommy. In a few year’s time when his memory’s not so good, he...
  15. lurchphoic

Saving our Inner-city Pubs

Does any one have a photograph of the first/old Chestnuts pub Garretts Green Sheldon 1950-early 60s. This was more or less a wooden shed, bar and lounge with an outdoor in the middle. I believe this same type building was also at the Radleys before they built the Cabin. The Chestnuts was...
Back