• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Luluco

1. L

Royal Coronations : Birmingham response

That's great. Which Curley are you the child of?
  2. L

Aston Variety & Artists Club

Hi Bluebru Did Bob perform at the variety artistes club in aston?
  3. L

Comedians

Wow.... thank you so much for your message about my granddad Tom. I've just come off the phone from my dad (Tom's son) and he is also very moved by your words. Please send me a private message with your contact details because I would love to ask you more about Tom, who died 1 year before I was...
  4. L

My days as a driver

My Gramps Fred Cooper negotiating a roundabout in Wolverhampton in a 30 ton tank transporter. This vehicle was originally supplied to the war department in 1944 and was used by American Forces in the UK. Post war it was registered and used by Edward Box as 80 ton ballast tractor.
  5. L

Transport Companies in Birmingham.

My Gramps Fred Cooper negotiating a roundabout in Wolverhampton in a 30 ton tank transporter. This vehicle was originally supplied to the war department in 1944 and was used by American Forces in the UK. Post war it was registered and used by Edward Box as 80 ton ballast tractor.
  6. L

Watery Lane

My grandfather Tom Curley was born at 9 Court 1 St Andrews Road on April 29th 1918....... His parents James & Gertrude Curley were still there on the 1927 Electrol Roll. Later moving to Alma St Aston as landlord to the Salutation Inn. Tom was a variety entertainer and stand up comedian. He stood...
  7. L

My days as a driver

My grandfather Fred Cooper worked for Ernest Holmes. He started his career driving a Scammell 100 tonner and finally became Managing Director of Ernest Holmes (Langley) Ltd, the heavy engineering division of the Holmes empire. Roy Larkin author and researcher of heavy haulage has written a book...
  8. L

Transport Companies in Birmingham.

My grandfather Fred Cooper worked for Ernest Holmes. He started his career driving a Scammell 100 tonner and finally became Managing Director of Ernest Holmes (Langley) Ltd, the heavy engineering division of the Holmes empire. Roy Larkin author and researcher of heavy haulage has written a book...
  9. L

tidy up please

Thanks Lofty..... it looks so different in colour!
  10. L

tidy up please

Thanks Lofty That's wonderful and really brings my relatives to life. Having never met my grandfather Tom (far right in the Naval Uniform) and his parents and uncle it gives me real pleasure and helps me imagine what they were like. Can I ask what you can do to another picture which I have...
  11. L

Great to chat with you Bruce, stay in touch.
  12. L

Tom died 1 year before I was born and that probably explains my obsession of trying to find info about him and his act. I have called my dad and read him your post, he was quite moved by your story. I will have a look at your posts on Old ladywwod. have you seen my photo of Tom and The Barrow...
  13. L

Tidy Up Photo Please

Thanks Frothblower...... much better thanks!
  14. L

Hi Bruce What wonderful memories you have. A few years too late to remember my Grandfather Tom Curely...... he died in December 1967. He as with many others mentioned here were dedicated to the variety club and I am ever thankful to hear the stories and memories of anyone who attended the...
  15. L

Tidy Up Photo Please

Morturn had done a wonderful job of tidying up my old photos and I have another one that needs restoration. Quite damaged I know....... but any improvement would be appreciated!
Back