• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by lulibell

1. L

Finding Catholic Graves in Birmingham

Some of my Jessops ( Hubert Cornelius Jessop, wife and infant) I found in the Nechells RC MI records. I looked in the Oratory's MI records as my father remembered his grandfather's (John William Jessop) very long funeral procession to the Oratory in 1940's. His wife Clara Jane Jessop was...
  2. L

William Pitt World War 1 Veteran

This is certainly a wonderful piece of detective work. Looking at the records on ancestry, I didn't think that any of the William Pitts in the RE were him. So have I understood this correctly, he was in the RE when he was in the Territorial Force? I've just had a word with my mother, she has no...
  3. L

The photos are definitely William Pitt, my gt grandfather. Lu
  4. L

Hi Mike and Terry, I've just been trying to put photos on the thread again to show you; I haven't had much luck. But, my son has created this public link for you. Luckily, you found his number as I had the wrong one! You two are wonderful. Many thanks Lu...
  5. L

Hi, I thought I'd try and locate some military records of William Pitt who survived the war, as there are new records on ancestry and its free this weekend (!!). Please see first post on thread for his details and photos. Experts on this forum kindly helped me by suggesting that he served with...
  6. L

Jessop Robert and Alice May

Hi Mr Zippy, I was very interested to see you have a family of Jessops who lived near mine. I didn't find a close relationship, but thought there may be, as we had at least 5 generations of bakers in the family. I just want to let you know! This is the furthest back I can be sure of, this is...
  7. L

Edward Pugh Conviction 1881

Wow thanks to all, that was interesting. I'm not sure what has happened , I haven't been getting email notifications, in the last 24 hours, about the activity on this thread. Lu
  8. L

Thanks Pollypops, for looking into this further. I feel quite lucky to have found this event. The court records for this particular time was quite detailed. Are you surprised that the jewellery was never found it probably was recycled into a gold chain? My family, especially my dad, have been...
  9. L

Hi Mike, That's Edward's brother John Pugh, a widowed press tool maker , living with daughter Winifred, in 1881 census. The census lists the street as Lower Hockley Street. Best regards, Lu
  10. L

Hi Janice, That is definitely my ancestor; in the 1881 census he was a gold chain maker and lived at 63 Lower Hockley Street. The hard labour must have taken it's toll he died in 1888. Thanks for helping me find out more about my 2x gt grandfather, All the best, Lu
  11. L

Thanks very much for looking, Janice. Lu
  12. L

William Vale & Sons

Hi Vale 'rang a bell for me' and I realised that I have asked for help about a newspaper advert about a collapsible shaving brush which my gt grandfather had some input inventing or patenting. Please see this thread: The 'Whitvale' Patent Collapsible Shaving Brush Best regards, Lu
  13. L

Hi I've tried to put this in a sensible place and apologise if it's not! I found my ancestor in come court records on ancestry today and have tried to find further details in the Birmingham Daily Post. Edward Pugh, 37 years, jeweller, Arrested on '13th June 1881 - Having at Birmingham , on...
  14. L

Charles Dickens In Birmingham

Soweto Kinch, musician, describes his connections to Birmingham and the city's history. Now on iplayer. I thought others may enjoy listening to him. Sorry I couldn't find suitable place for it but feel free to move this...
  15. L

Charles Dickens In Birmingham

Oh yes Viv. Mikejee has helped me in the past with bringing my family tree to life through maps and trade directories. He's great! I think John Winkles lived at 80 or 81 Livery Street, rather than 10 Livery Street. I found this thread through googling today. I hope others with this ancestor...
Back