• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by LucyJayne

1. LucyJayne

sayings

These are the ones I remember from the top of my head.. Got a face as long as a flag pole You are enough to make god swear (charming) You wanna be careful you don't go cock eyed....no one says that anymore do they 'cock eyed' lol :)
  2. LucyJayne

Barr Street, Hockley

When were these back to backs built as from Mikes map they were there in 1889. Does anyone know?
  3. LucyJayne

Oldest Public House in Hockley

Hi, Did you mean the Rose Villa Tavern?? :)
  4. LucyJayne

Thanks for that Moss and what a great picture! I loved seeing stained glass windows in pubs :)
  5. LucyJayne

Thanks Lyn :)
  6. LucyJayne

Hi Everyone, Just wondered if anyone could tell me what the oldest pub in Hockley is?? Any ideas? Thanks Lucy )
  7. LucyJayne

Name of pub on Great Hampton Street

Hi All, I got this map from Mike yesterday showing whereabouts my Dad lived on Barr Street and I noticed there was a pub on the corner of Harford Street and Great Hampton street which we all know to be The Church and showing right opposite I saw another pub showing which I didn't know about so I...
  8. LucyJayne

Name of pub on Great Hampton Street

Hi, Does anyone know the name of the pub on great Hampton Street opposite the Church pub? I would be grateful for any info Thanks Lucy :)
  9. LucyJayne

Barr Street, Hockley

I'm pretty sure it was the other end....off the top of my head I think he said he was 4/55
  10. LucyJayne

Barr Street, Hockley

Aww thanks for that, what a nice thought. Bet they didn't guess that 70 odd years later we would be on the Internet chatting about them!! Lol funny old world. Just wish you could go back in time sometimes don't you? To really find out what they talked and laughed about etc....I can dream :)
  11. LucyJayne

Brummie sayings & language

I remember being really young and my mum gave me a hot cross bun or tea cake thing and I wouldn't eat it. My Dad asked me what was wrong with it and I said I didn't want to eat it cos it had dead flies in it! He just laughed and told my mum that he used to say the same thing to his parents when...
  12. LucyJayne

Brummie sayings & language

My mum always says this and I remember when I was really young I used the run back up the stairs so fast cos I was scared of this bad luck!!!!
  13. LucyJayne

Definition of “Brummie”, “Astonian” etc

Hi, I dunno if you will chuck me off the forum for this but I was born in Solihull but have quite a strong brummie accent. My Dad was born in Barr Street, Hockley. We all support the Blues. I HATE it when people say to me 'ya a yam yam ar ya' when I say I'm from Birmingham ( I never say...
  14. LucyJayne

St George's Church Newtown

I have a pic of my Nan and Grandad on their wedding day taken outside st Georges church, can't see that much of the church at all (but I know it's there) ;) Might post it in a bit, better check with my Dad first!! Lol
  15. LucyJayne

Grocery shop on Essington Street

Just wondered if anyone else had any memories of this shop or any pics they could send me??? It would mean so much. Thanks
Back