• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by lreid

1. L

Highgate Road or Highgate Street

Fabulous, thank you so much
  2. L

Highgate Road or Highgate Street

Do you have any maps showing Watts Building on Highgate Street, around 1893. This was the home of my Great Grandad from where he married
  3. L

New John Street West & New John Street

Is that your family who lived at 153? Do you have any pictures?
  4. L

I have the family tree going back to the 1800s, the family were in Norfolk until the turn of the century. Grandad definitely born in Birmingham, his sister was born in Carmarthenshire, which leads me to think they were nomadic until settling in Birmingham Thanks for taking an interest
  5. L

I agree, the family appear to have settled in Birmingham with periods of trancience for whatever the reason. I'm guessing to earn a living. I have so many unanswered questions regarding my grandfather. Like many of us I never asked the questions....
  6. L

Sorry, no. He was John Henry and she was Rose Ellen
  7. L

Thank you for your input. I have searched for pictures of the caravans, to date no results
  8. L

Thank you both for your interest in this puzzle. I can find nothing of my grandfather in the 1911 census either. His parents came from Norfolk, my grandfather was born in Birmingham in 1896, however in 1901 I think they were all back in Norfolk. He married in Birmingham in 1918. At this time his...
  9. L

There are surprisingly lots of off springs from those Bates too. John and Rose
  10. L

Only listed as New John Street not new john street west, so I'm thinking of was the end up to Newtown Row. My great grandparents had a shop in New Town Row at that time
  11. L

surname is Bates, they lived in Caravan 4 New John Street
  12. L

Hi Eileen I too have been searching for information and photos of caravan dwellers in New John Street. My grandparents are listed in the 1921 census as living in a caravan there. unfortunately, as yet, I have not found anything. if I do, I will let you know
  13. L

Cherrywood Road, Bordesley Green

My dad worked for Mr Barker, maintaining his properties. He built a sprawling villa just outside Stratford on Avon for him. He had an Italian wife, he built the villa for her. She didn't like it, so she didn't spend much time there. I used to go and "help" dad, mixing his cement in school...
  14. L

Stratford Place Highgate

I am looking for any information and pictures of Stratford Place housing Highgate in 1930s to 1950s. What were conditions like there? What was the area like? Also, Rowton House in the 60s ant pics or info, please.
  15. L

Irving Street

I a researching my family history. My grandmother was born in Irving Street Highgate in 1894. Would this be the Irving Street off Bath Row or was there another of the same name?
Back