• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Lonnie Donoghue

1. Lonnie Donoghue

BENNETT, BYFIELD, WEST , CLARKE, HOLLAND, DAMMS

Hi mate, I have a few friends in Oz, some ex Para mates but mainly they’re in my curry club. One of then is an helicopter engineer who builds small boats, has his own brewery in his garage and is my curry club secretary, I thinks he’s in Melbourne, another is ex RAEME who was attached to us in...
  2. Lonnie Donoghue

Hi Lindsay, besides a number of Ulster tours and the Falklands Conflict I served in the first Gulf War 1990-91. Good to meet a fellow veteran. I served 23 years in uniform and then 18 years in an operational training Unit as the senior equipment engineering manager. On another note, I am a very...
  3. Lonnie Donoghue

Proving Family Links to William Shakespeare

Clara Amelia Whitehead (1839-1924) was married to Frederick Haines (1832-1899) (they were married 1860 at Tewkesbury, Gloucester), it is Clara's grandfather William Whitehead (1775-1856) who was married to Sarah Hart (1775-1849), they married at St Mary's, Tewkesbury, Gloucester 11-12-1798...
  4. Lonnie Donoghue

I have the Haines link going back to Hart and yes, I have Harriet Turner too but haven't developed that next generation back yet so thank you for that information Beeton/Turner/Hallam. that'll give me a good starter. On the Haines side the lineage I have and need to prove is Haines/Whitehead...
  5. Lonnie Donoghue

Yes, Got all that, I have Thomas A's tree going back to his G-Grandfather (George) B1825 in Warwickshire but Letitia's paternal family (Haines) G-G-Grandfather Edward B(C)1750 in Gloucester and her maternal back to easily 1450 and into the Shakespeare dynasty and thats why this is so important...
  6. Lonnie Donoghue

There was an error somewhere as I had him in the family tree from 2004 (1369 names so far) as William John but later on much research on a number of other sites including a superb American site it came up as William James and still linked to Letitia. Confusing somewhat.
  7. Lonnie Donoghue

It’s G G Jean’s birthday

Happy Birthday young lady.
  8. Lonnie Donoghue

I served with two DAMMS brothers in the Army, Nigel and Martyn, they became very good friends, I served with Nigel in Ulster1980 and Martyn in the Falklands Conflict 1982. I am writing my second Autobiography book (first is not yet published) and Marty is mention because of an incident in...
  9. Lonnie Donoghue

Looking for information on my half brother and sisters father, William James Wilson (1934-1992) born likely Nuneaton but resided and married my mom in Birmingham in 1959 when I was four. I believe Williams mother was Letitia Haines and his father Thomas A Wilson both from Nuneaton. Letitia's...
  10. Lonnie Donoghue

Whittaker Ellis c.1930

Hi Peter, I worked with both your Dad and Don. Great guys although Don could be a handful at times, Id often go to Borth with Don and his girlfriend although she'd often get quite upset when he dragged me along.
  11. Lonnie Donoghue

Whittaker Ellis c.1930

Peter. I worked with both your Dad and Don. I'd often go to Borth (Wales) with Don and his girlfriend although she'd get really upset whenever he dragged me along. I was running a gang at the age of 18 on the Shotblast and Encapsulation crew as Tommy Field the original ganger was off sick. When...
  12. Lonnie Donoghue

Whittaker Ellis c.1930

I worked for Whittaker Ellis (AKA Whittaker Ellis Bullock) 1970-74. We supported the West Midland Gas Board (WMGB) in laying gas mains and service lines usually on new estates, maintaining said services mostly thru seeking and repairing gas leaks. In 1973 North Sea Gas came in and the gas...
Back