• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by longwayhome

1. L

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

I do like looking at these.
  2. L

Greenway Street, Small Heath

My Great Gran MaryAnn McNab was the Manageress of the Williams Steam Laundry and my Gran and Grandad owned the shop just by. Gerald Humphries.
  3. L

Apple Tart Shop Greenway Street

Williams Electric Laundry - this was just up from Stockton's Apple Tart Shop. Here is my Great Grandma Mary Ann McNab (Sambrook) who was Manager there when this picture was taken. My dear sister in New Zealand has the name plate of the laundry.
  4. L

Hi Nick. Yes there was a Barbers' shop. It had been there a long time and my Dad was a lather boy there as a lad! The 'shop' was an 'open all hours' and I don't think Gran and GDad ever took a holiday in 30 years. GDad even used to open on Christmas morning! I still have some things from the...
  5. L

Stockton's in Greenway Street was known as the Apple Tart Shop and I used to get sent there as a nipper by my Gran Lizzie Humphries, who kept a shop a few doors up, to get Bread Pudding. Here is a picture of her with Don Stockton. Thanks to Mary M. Donoghue's wonderful book Smells of Childhood...
  6. L

Bill Humphries who had the shop was my Grandfather and my Dad was born at 12 Greenway Street.
  7. L

I have just revisited your thread and realised that your Martin family are relatives of mine via Gwendoline McNab who married Victor Martin. I have many photos of them and likely some of his family. Please contact me if I am correct and I can send you stuff. Regards -
  8. L

Coastal Command - the forgotten ones

My father was a Navigator in a Short Sunderland during the war. He only spoke of it in the two years before he died recently at the age of 92. On one mission his aircraft was attacked by German Junkers and badly damaged. He was burnt by melting rubber from burning cables and only then did I see...
Back