• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by LNewey

1. L

Cycle Shop On The 'flat' Hockley Birmingham

Thank you all, it was my Dad who bought a bike 'on credit' from the bike store on 'the flat' (only two years after his own dad returned from being a prisoner of war in WWII). My Dad was only 14 years old at the time (1947 ish) and found work in the Jewellery quarter after school in order to pay...
  2. L

Cycle Shop On The 'flat' Hockley Birmingham

Does anyone know of the name or have photos of the shop that sold bicycles on the Flat Hockley, 1940s 1950s?
  3. L

sayings

I think your definition of 'in my oil tot' was what I thoúght to be so too, thanks
  4. L

sayings

Re: 'he has only got 2 hairs and a nit'....no I don't recall this....but I think it should be re-instated, as it made me smile ;-)
  5. L

sayings

My Great grandfather who lived in Smith Street Birmingham, wrote to his daughter who was away convalescing in the countryside 'What Ho fora country life’ and to be a farmers Boy. I would be in my oil tot’ 'I would be as happy as a pig in muck. Isn’t it nice to be in nice country lanes,all on...
Back