• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Lizy barnes

1. L

New Summer Street

How lovely to see my husbands Great Grandparents on the above . They where William and Esther Wheeler 118 New Summer Street. thankyou .
  2. L

Missing photos (as a result of Forum hacked 2011)

Well done Warren , i haven't been able to access the site for a couple of months so happy to be part of it again.:adoration:
  3. L

Mike Guest

Although i never met Mike, there is always something about this forum that you do think you know people personaly. So all i can say is Goodbye and God -bless Mike i am sure you will be greatly missed:( .
  4. L

Birmingham Council House Waiting List

My mum got her first council house in 1960, and by then she had eight children, they came across from Ireland in 1948 and moved around alot because of notice boards on lodging houses saying no Blacks and no Irish. It was always word of mouth that they got bigger rooms. One day when my Dad was...
  5. L

Brummie sayings & language

If we sat too close to the fire my mum would say we would end up with cornbeef legs.
  6. L

Tooth Family

Jean i think that is the lady Lizy Baker who was researching that name .
  7. L

Oneil (Oniel)

In reference to the above we had a family party the weekend and as usual the conversation went to memories of past relations My husbands eldest brother said that he only remembered one great aunt on his mothers side , to which his mother replied that her mother had 2 sisters and one brother...
  8. L

Oneil (Oniel)

Good evening all i was wondering if anyone can look up a family bythe name of Oneil from Aston. The parents i have no first name but there children were Ada,Thomas,Kate and Rose all pre 1900's thank-you.
  9. L

dudley road, winson green

Hi Astonian, i do log in most day's to see if there is any thing i can add a memory too. Yes the four houses in our row housed four Irish Families . The Dwyer's- Ourselves- the Murphy's and the Mcarthy's in all there where about thirty children in the four houses. It was not me or my sister's...
  10. L

dudley road, winson green

Good afternoon Patricia, when i was eleven my family lived at 124, Dudley road from 1968, till the late 1990's when my dad died and my mom moved to a Bungalow in Harborne. Our house was two doors away from ST. Patricks church and facing the now known City Hospital.When we moved there our houses...
  11. L

My Sad Loss

Our thoughts are with you at this very sad time.
  12. L

The stags head briearly st

Well i don't know what his nickname was amongst he fellow drinkers , but his grand-son said his was known as (Binky) although his real name was George Barnes. The sad side of the story was he refused a lift from some-one and then got knocked down . He left behind a wife and 9 children thank god...
  13. L

The stags head briearly st

My brother in-law mentioned today that is Grandfather was knocked down crossing the road, after coming out of the stags head in the 1960's . He was almost sure that he never recovered and died shortly after .
  14. L

Medicines Of The Past

I do-not know of the shop you asked about, but i so remember the jar of black -jack my mum swore by for healing many things it looked like blacktreacle but the smell was not nice. Also there was a tin of some thing for corns . When she moved from the family house to a bungalow we found a jar of...
  15. L

Nan's Health Warning...1947...

What if you picked your nose, you were told your brains would fall out.
Back