• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by LisaT

1. L

Webb Thomas , attorney (died 1824)

I don't know if he ever handled a murder case again. Maybe that discouraged him? Subsequently, at least in Birmingham, he seemed to specialize in bankruptcies.
  2. L

Excellent work! Yes, it seems most likely that Jane's father Thomas Webb was the same one who was articled to James Brasier in Bewdley; I haven't seen the more detailed articles to which you refer with the name and profession of his father, only a list that gave the name of his sponsor as J.B...
  3. L

Hi Brigette -- are you sure about those dates for Henry Yorke Webb? It seems impossible that he could have the same mother as siblings born in 1750, 1755 and 1760. Also, I think I have found a bankruptcy notice for someone named Henry Yorke Webb in 1790. I would love to know more. I have...
  4. L

Oh! That must have been their first child. I think there are two other infant sons memorialized with their mother in Birmingham. Thanks.
  5. L

The marriage record really should have read "Jane Heydon alias Davis" but she misunderstood....her real name was Heydon, but she must have been giving her name as "Miss Davis" until the time came for the official documents to be signed - a marriage under a false name would not have been valid...
  6. L

Jane Heydon's father was still alive when she got married in 1786. There was a newspaper announcement of the marriage published a few weeks after it happened (this means that even if Jane had eloped and got married without permission - which she would have needed if she was not yet 21 - that...
  7. L

The fact that there were no family witnesses plus the evidence that she was using a false name (Davis) inclines me to think they had eloped. I bet her parents did not want her to marry Thomas Webb. But without knowing her age, impossible be sure if she was under 21 (and would have needed their...
  8. L

9. L

How exciting to hear from you! No, I'm no relation, just interested in Jane Wells Webb Loudon. I have found her mother -- but so far it is very difficult to confirm her family. I will message you.
  10. L

You are indeed the Master Brummie and I bow to your skills and withdraw my earlier disbelief that this could be the Thomas I'd been looking for.:oops:
  11. L

So.....though my first thought was "this can't be the same family; Jane's father was an attorney" -- then I realized that of course, this could be-- must be-- the FATHER of Henry Yorke Webb. And very likely the father of Mary Webb who married George Swinson. Plus, as for Frances Warren --...
  12. L

OK, I searched on the name "Henry York Webb" and found him in newspapers from 1790s-- middle name given as Yorke. He was in partnership with Richard Walford of Birmingham & they were Brewers & Dealers in Porter. (Were bankrupt in 1790, but then allowed certificates in 1791) Then I found a...
  13. L

Sara, thanks -- I would need your email, however! Also you may like to connect with Andy Sawyer of the Science Fiction Foundation -- Andy and I have been exchanging emails, sharing research into the life, times, and family background of Jane Wells Webb Loudon. I never know if it is OK to post...
  14. L

I think 1752 is too late for Thomas Webb who was Jane's father, unless she is wrong to have given his age as 74 when he died in September 1824, and his birthday as 20 November. So....he should have been born in November 1749, and baptised if not in that same year then in early 1750. I suggest...
  15. L

...even though they misspelled the name of her house, she was clearly identified with it from then on! I assume that because this had been given as her own and her father's address, later writers made the assumption that it was the old family estate and she was born there.
Back