• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by lddav

1. L

Rivers: River Cole

philbee, as I stated earlier in the thread the Cooks Lane bridge used to act as a dam when it filled with debris and flood Babbs Mill, it was particularly bad one year in the late 70's. I remember the outflows you talk about, one came down from my old school at Fordbridge, the other was a bit...
  2. L

I was born in Marston Green maternity hospital (biggest in the U.K at the time) in 1966 and my birth certificate states I was born in Warwickshire. I am sure Chelmbo was given to Solihull in the 1974 boundary changes. As far as the the name Chelmbo is concerned it was all the rage with us...
  3. L

I have had some posts removed due to comments of a political nature, and I accept that this was done. If I have caused any offence to anyone I would like to sincerely apologise. This thread matters to me a great deal and I would like to see it run like the River Cole itself.
  4. L

It certainly is a long convoluted and complicated history. However, I have checked out the Kingfisher project and it looks as if the authorities are taking the issue of the enviroment seriously. I have to say that when I last had a look around there this time two years ago everything seemed...
  5. L

There was some weird arrangement that, although the Wood was in Warwickshire, the housing stock was in Brum, this is discussed in other threads here. I distinctly remember the Warwickshire crest (bear chained to log) on my primary scoolbooks in the early 70's. The tory government of ...I think...
  6. L

We were really done down by the boundary changes in the 70's, I still think chelmbo would be better of in Brum. But back to memories, I saw much of the open spaces around Bacons End disappear through the 70's and 80's. There used to be an old well on the space over the road by the ambulance...
  7. L

Sorry if I sound a bit cynical about the nature reserve, it was only in it's infancy when I left, and I tended to think it was a ridiculous idea by Solihull Council who never really seemed to understand/care about Chelmbo. I grew up in Tower Croft from 1970-1989, the ER and the River Cole...
  8. L

Ha ,ha Alberta, now the sight of those anti-social trogs, called travellers being washed out of their campsite I would have loved to see. I presume you are talking about the pretentiously named "nature reserve" or as we always knew it as kids the ER after the queens initials were carved into the...
  9. L

Does anybody remember how when there was heavy rainfall how debris used to pile up against the Cooks Lane bridge and turn it into a dam ? It was particularly bad one year 77/78. The river backed up and flooded the fields along Fordbridge.
Back