• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by LaytonLily

1. L

Happy Valley Yardley Wood

Many thanks for information on the book. I will see if I can order from library.
  2. L

This notification appeared in my e-mails yesterday - thank you for sending Pedrocut that's a good photo - but I wanted to ask about the entry in brackets - The Story of Ty-phoo and the Birmingham tea industry by Ken Williams. I am interested in that book because my grandfather was a tea...
  3. L

Whites Removals

There isn't very much actually but I have copied what there is about his time working for Whites Removals. I remember he would bring home wonderful presents, one time a beautiful doll's house, with all the miniature furniture and dolls etc. - toys that people who were much more 'well off' then...
  4. L

Whites Removals

I have stories from my father about working for Whites Removals in WW2 if you would be interested.
  5. L

The Pig Market, Bordesley Street

Brilliant Pedrocut ! Now I just need to know why William Henry was born there ! I will this up on BNA
  6. L

I hadn't seen the newspaper article - I bet that was him ! I have membership of BNA so will take a look for any more on him. Thank you.
  7. L

He died of chronic alcoholism and cirrhosis of the liver in 1911, occupation given as Butcher Retired. Address Bristol Road, Edgbaston, so back in his mother's house. Maybe the Night Watchman was a way of earning some money when he was no longer fit to be a butcher.
  8. L

Thank you. And nothing that is The P.. Market ? It is probably going to be one of those things whereby I am never going to know the answer ! Charlotte had another son in 1899 where the father was not the husband and she left home but that was between 1899 and 1901. It is the Night...
  9. L

Thanks for the replies. It does seem odd. Perhaps he was born in the Pig Market because Charlotte didn't have time to get home ! Thank you for checking baptism record. There wasn't a pub called Pig Market was there ?! Actually looking at birth cert. again it gives the Residence of...
  10. L

I have just discovered that a cousin of my father was born at The Pig Market, Bordesley Street in 1893. William Henry Fisher, parents James Arthur and Charlotte Fisher (nee Hunt) (just in case someone is related !) but how come they would give their address as living at the Pig Market ? On...
  11. L

R. J. Willis Greengrocer

Thank you for your response. You might be interested in some of the other memories my father had. Though he would have worked for Willis about 1930, so quite a bit earlier. My father's cousin - Wiliam (Bill) Aston - worked for Mr Willis and extended the orders to include many of the big...
  12. L

R. J. Willis Greengrocer

Does anyone have any memories of E. J. Willis greengrocer ? I am typing up my father's memories (he hand wrote them many years ago, and is long dead now). I think it would be about 1930 - this is something I have just typed : Mr Willis then had a greengrocery shop built in the Bull Ring...
  13. L

Just seen these replies to my query - had been expecting an e-mail if anyone replied ! - and I feel certain it is 'Happy Valley' Yardley Wood Road - the photograph is so similar to the one I posted! So thank you so much. Is there any chance of having a bigger copy of the photograph, as...
  14. L

Can anyone identify this photo please, where it might have been taken and possible time - 1900's ? A family contact in Australia has sent me some old family photographs of our mutual family who lived in Birmingham, hoping I can identify them. The wooden railings look typical of what would have...
  15. L

Map Of W W2 Bombing

Thank you for your response. I did find the one I was thinking of on another website but it isn't very clear. I would really like it to be clearer so one could see the actual roads and names of. (attached) Evidently the red dots are incendiary bombs dropped. I remember as a child we...
Back